Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '93 400E and am curing the small ills inherent in a 10year old car. The headlight washer on the drivers side leaks. I replaced the car to washer tube but it turns out the problem is that the nozzle leaks constantly, enough to drain the entire tank in a day! I have replaced the washer pump that powers the headlight washers, the hose rotted away and took the spout of the old washer pump with it. Is there a check valve in the washer nozzle? The other side doesn't leak and seems to work just fine so I don't think the new washer pump is bad or in a lock open mode. Any Ideas? Just a PITA thing, the car is awesome! Glad I popped for it, I'm getting 23 mpg in the worst commute traffic in the country (Seattle). And then I put my foot in it.... :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dribble Dried.

Turns out there is an inline check valve ($13) downstream from the headlight washer pump, located on my benz under the bumper where the washer line exits the pump, a 1 into 2 deal that runs the fluid to both headlight washers. Knew there had to be a failure of some check valve, nothing else made sense. No leaks so far. Now on to hunt for some Euro lights! :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my '89 300E. The former owner told me she thought the reservoir leaked, so I bought a new reservoir. Turns out both pumps were N/G, so bought those as well. When they were installed the water was pouring out under the car when we tried the W/S washers. Voila! The check valve under the front bumper was leaking. Cost another $6 and everything works well.

Check out eBay for your lights. I have found many parts for my MB there, including from the sponsor of this forum. I also found another great place for parts online--saved me hundreds of dollars when I had to put a new catalytic converter in my '89.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts