Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody have any advice to remove the starter on 1999 E320.

It must be on the passenger side of the engine, but it seems it is covered up by the manifold and there seems to be no way to access it when I looked from directly below.

So, what is the trick to get to it ? I dont want to try unorthodox things when there is a simple trick to get access.
I would appreciate someone who already did this.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks eric.
seems like it is going t take some extra effort.
Pretty tough access for such a simple thing as a starter.

The bendix is intermittent on mine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There might be an easier way. I didnt check, but if I take the passenger wheel off and remove the wheel well cover I should have direct access to the starter from the side. No need to remove catalytic converters etc.
I never had to replace a starter on my E320s, so this is a first just to figure out access.

Nope cancel that. I just checked; Doesnt seem the 1999 E320's have a removable cover in the wheel well like the ML's e.g. has. Seems like your suggestion is the only way.

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
No need to replace the bendix in this instance, remove the starter and clean the bendix and give it a light oiling then test it on the bench using a battery and jump leads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since it is so difficult to replace, I am just going to install a completely new starter, then overhaul the broken one having more time, so I have a working one for spare once my other e320 gets the same problem.
I really dont want to repeat this procedure.
I will try and make a video how I eventually replaced this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody have any advice to remove the starter on 1999 E320.

It must be on the passenger side of the engine, but it seems it is covered up by the manifold and there seems to be no way to access it when I looked from directly below.

So, what is the trick to get to it ? I dont want to try unorthodox things when there is a simple trick to get access.
I would appreciate someone who already did this.

Thanks
You have to disconnect the manifold

1 - 7 of 7 Posts