Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is strange problem, but this morning when I put in the key ,the display says 'remove key'.. If I attempt to start the car, it just clicks.. All the lights are on, and the battery seems charged ( the headlights come on ). Checked to make sure the car wasn't left in drive, and it isn't ( shifted back and forth just to be sure ), and the display shows 'P'.
I've tried both keys, and neither work. The display does not show any malfunctions..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I try to start it with the lights on, they dim for a brief second ( about half as bright ), but then after the 'click' sound, they are full bright again.

The other thing I noticed is that if I attempt to start it once, I have to remove the key from the ignition before I can try again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
678 Posts
You realize that a battery that's low on charge (say 25% charged) can easily turn the headlights on, but would not be able to crank the engine over. Headlights maybe draw 30 amps or so, while a starter motor will draw a good 2-300 amps. If you hear the click of the starter solenoid, and the headlights dim that much, either your battery is just discharged, or you have a bad starter. I'd make sure it's not #1 before you go replacing #2.

And it's normal to have to remove the key before you can try to crank it again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Zewerr.. I'll try that tomorrow.. How hard is it to replace a starter on those cars? Mechanic only or can a 'backyard mechanic' do it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery worked..:)

Now I've got the BAS & ABS malfuntion.. Is this just the stop switch or is there a way to reset after changing the battery?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Just turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times and it should go away. The steering angle sensor just needs to be readapted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts