Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not a diehard benz person but I'm guessing 95% of y'all folks allready know this so please inform me while I look like the dumbass I am.

What dose the letter stand for in the modle number (IE E320)?

I know the number is the size of the motor and a D at the end means its a dissle and Im guessing its german!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The starting letters are the class or model of the car.

A class cars are sub-compacts not currently sold in the US or Canada.

C class is the smallest sedan, wagon and coupe sold in the US and Canada.

SLK is the small two seat sports car. The current car is based on the previous C class. The next generation SLK is based on the current C.

CLK is a four seat two door coupe. It is also based on the C class, but is upscale and sells in the E class price range.

E class mid size sedans and wagons. New design for 2003

S class large size sedan.

CL class large two door coupe based on S class.

SL class large two seat sports touring car.

M or ML class US made SUV

G class stands for Gelaendewagon. Very expensive large German built
SUV.

V class. Mini vans not currently sold in US or Canada, maybe be sold under Chrysler and/or Dodge names in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know that but what dose like C mean? compact? crap? :eek:
BTW I actuly saw a V wagon here in ga awhile ago orgon plates on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lynn said:
Only a few of the designation have a meaning. SL is sports light, while SLK is sports light short. CL is coupe light, and CLK is coupe light short. G stands for Gelaendewagen. None of the others mean anything.
Actually, SLK means sports light kuertz, kuertz being the German word for short. :wink:

Also, the number following, just like with BMW, does not necessarily denote the size of the motor. For example, unless I'm wrong, the ML350 actually has a 3.7L engine, like the C230 actually has a 1.8L engine...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lynn said:
M or ML class US made SUV

G class stands for Gelaendewagon. Very expensive large German built
SUV.
Actually the G-class is built by Steyr-Puch in Austria, not Germany.

I'm also pretty sure the ML (in addition to being assembled in Tuscaloosa, Alabama) is also assembled in Austria on an assembly line shared with the euro-version Jeep Grand Cherokee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts