Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking for a Performance Electric Exhaust Cutout Valve Kit With Manual Switch for 2014 Mercedes Benz E550 Cabriolet - AM278 Engine 4.7 twin-turbo V8.

Any suggestions? I found these two but want to be sure if this fit. Any experience and anyone installed them? Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd imagine it'll fit and work, but not sure why you'd want it. The exhaust is not restrictive enough to cause problems, and since it's limiting factor is the turbos size, all you'll really be doing is making more noise. They're more for normally aspirated cars that are hurt by back pressure. Turbo engines are force fed, and have a less restrictive exhaust, hence the term "turbo mufflers" because they are very different. Turbos cut sound down quite so less muffler downstream is needed. So while reducing back pressure even further can help, it's basically a non-issue if the turbos are too small. If it does help then all I can really see it doing is helping it spool up, but after that the computer is controlling boost or you're running out of it.
Unless you just want to be loud, which I understand because I did that when I was 16. But that is, imo, the wrong kind of loud. I, and most everyone, thinks a deep tone is the one to have, which you get with fat glass packed mufflers. That's what I use on my Chevota and get compliments on the sound all the time. One old dude neighbor said "I get a F*@#in hard-on every time I hear that thing!"
I also quickly learned that open exhaust just annoys people and attracts cops like flys to $hit. I had a car pass me months ago at night on the freeway, which no doubt had electric cutouts. As I heard it coming I assumed it was some pos wannabe hotrod owned by some teen, but then this nice shiny Benz passes me. Nice except for that awful sound. It was also about midnight so I'm sure about a thousand people within earshot were pissed.
So if you do it, have fun, but be wary and please don't use it while people are trying to sleep ;) I would also suggest it dump as far back as possible because it's really annoying for the people inside the car if it dumps under it. Learned that the hard way too. To get the full effect you'd need to dump before the resonators up front, which would be super annoying for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts