Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now when I have tried to start the car, it won't start. The soleniod clicks, but the starter doesn't turn. In addition, various interior, dash and exterior lights flash ramdomly. The first time I was also getting random error messages on the display, like low washer fluid, low oil, SPS failure, and a couple others. Today there were no error messages. The windows work, the sunshade works, but the glass won't move. Today, the roof was open and a storm was appoaching. Most of the rest of the electrical items work. The lights are nice and bright, the seat heater get hot, the nav system and stereo work, etc. And all simutaneously.

The first time this happend the can was in my gargage and it wouldn't start for three days. Today I drove the car to go eat. When I came out, I turned on the ignition and opend the roof and windows. Then I tried to start the car and just got a click and the flashing lights. I turned the switch off and then back on the roll up the windows and close the roof. The windows went up, but the roof stayed open althought the shade closed. Made several attempts to start the car and several to close the roof. After waiting 20 minutes or so, I tried the roof again and it closed. So I figured the car would start and it did.

I first thought a bad battery, but the lights are bright and don't dim if I turn on the seat heaters. So, battery? Insane ECU? Something else?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Won't start

I had a similar situation a couple years ago with another automobile. Sounds like you have a decrease or interruption in current. Mine turned out to be a faulty cell in the battery. Hope that's it. Good luck. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That's a weird one. I'd get a the battery load tested just to rule that out before going into some heavier diag work. These vehicles can act quite strangely given undervoltage situation. The various modules in the car will store undervoltage codes as well, so that can be a clue. I'd be interested to see if there are any stored faults; at the very least, that's where I'd start with this one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts