Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i purchased a w204 of year 2013 last January and have started having issues the day after…. I have these 2 issues that i need help on:
  • Engine check light is on with error code P0299 (Turbo boost 1) ( i replaced the battery since it was 5 years old, and took it to 3 different mb mechanics but still the same issue) - When switching the engine light off, it could either switch on after a few km or else it could switch on even after say 50km, I was told that it could be an air leak but it doesn't make much sense because if it was an air leak it would switch off immediately. A mechanic also replaced the solenoid valve just below the engine cover, it became a bit better but still switched on, we also dismantled the Mass Air flow sensor and cleaned it as it was full of dust, again it helped a bit but i am still stuck with the same problem.
  • i have gear shifting kicks when the engine is still cold, when the engine temp meter is over half way, it is much better. Apart from that sometimes the car does not move when on D or R or moves really slow, i put it to N and put it to D again and it moves normally. - the majority of the time that this plays up is when the car has the check engine light on, when it is not on it just gives a few kicks when gear shifting, lately a mechanic also added 1 litre of oil in the gear box and it became almost perfect when the engine check light was off, but it became horrible again when the engine check light turned on with the P0299 fault.

Any suggestions on these two issues pls as i am paying mechanics for nothing as i am still having the same issues.

My car has only 65,000km so it is only a little, also we noticed that the oil coolant of both the engine and the gearbox were replaced by the previous owner. Any help will be appreciated.

Car Details:
Mercedes Benz W204 C220 CDI
NEDC 131
Registration Date: 12/2013
Mileage: 65,000 KM

Regards,
Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
See this web page from another forum, which explains which sensor is the culprit. It even tells how to test the sensor in question with an ohm meter before replacing it (which you could easily do yourself if you are at all handy). I'm not sure what exactly your mechanic replaced when you say "solenoid valve just below the engine cover." Sounds like the problem has nothing to do with air leaks or MAF sensor. Hope I've helped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. Check your engine oil level before starting the vehicle if something has been changed since last time you drove. If you have had any other work done recently that might cause you to lose some fluid (like new brake pads) then add approx half a cup per quart of 10W40 motor oil into the engine bay once you're finished working on the brakes. This is important especially if you are doing any work that could alter the amount of fluid in the system like changing belts or adding/removing parts from the engine or transmission. Also change your air filter at least once a year.
2. When you shift gears make sure you do not apply excessive pressure to the shifter handle or the lever. Too much pressure can damage either the shifter or lever causing them to stick and not move freely allowing you to not get where you need to go.
3. Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly, if its too tight the clutch may slip causing stalling, if its too loose it may bind, making it difficult to engage the clutch pedal.
4. Make sure your tires are inflated correctly. Underinflated tires can affect your handling when driving over bumps, speed bumps, etc. and lead to tire wear quicker than normal. Over inflated tires decrease traction and can cause loss of power under certain conditions.
5. Check your lights, headlights, turn signals, brake lights and tail lights. Make sure they are working appropriately.
6. Check your battery cables and connectors. They should look clean and dry. Be careful not to use water as this can corrode electrical connections in your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

i purchased a w204 of year 2013 last January and have started having issues the day after…. I have these 2 issues that i need help on:
  • ............ I was told that it could be an air leak but it doesn't make much sense because if it was an air leak it would switch off immediately....................................................................

Any suggestions on these two issues pls as i am paying mechanics for nothing as i am still having the same issues.

My car has only 65,000km so it is only a little, also we noticed that the oil coolant of both the engine and the gearbox were replaced by the previous owner. Any help will be appreciated.

Car Details:
Mercedes Benz W204 C220 CDI
NEDC 131
Registration Date: 12/2013
Mileage: 65,000 KM

Regards,
Matt
Typically, this code is the result of an air restriction or leak in the intake of your engine.
Rule 1: Always go for the simplest.
In your case: Renew your air filter if you cannot see light when looking through it.
Follow the mech who pointed this out. He has more experience!
Diesels rely on copious air volume; nature of the beast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts