Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of searching for a new water pump for my benz. Every web-site that I have searched on yields this:

After in-putting my car's year, make, and model I click on water pumps and get this question:

To which engine range does the vehicle belong?

My two choices are:

Questions:

How do I find out what the correct engine range is?

Thank You for any help that you may be able to give.

Nick

·
Registered
453 Posts
Engine Range:

It's based on the chassis sequence number, which is in the VIN that you can read at the base of the driver's side windshield. Find the VIN number, last part is the serial number of the car.

The parts catalog will usually have somthing like this: "-xxxxxxx or xxxxxxx-" , what this means is "any car with a VIN lower this number
(-xxxxxxx) or any car with a VIN higher than this number (xxxxxxx-).

-xxx is BEFORE and including
xxx- is AFTER and including

Be sure to check out our online parts catalog and if you make the purchase before the end of the year you can take advantage of the special BenzForum discount offer (see announcement in the forum for details).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ajcrowe said:
Engine Range:

It's based on the chassis sequence number, which is in the VIN that you can read at the base of the driver's side windshield. Find the VIN number, last part is the serial number of the car.

The parts catalog will usually have somthing like this: "-xxxxxxx or xxxxxxx-" , what this means is "any car with a VIN lower this number
(-xxxxxxx) or any car with a VIN higher than this number (xxxxxxx-).

-xxx is BEFORE and including
xxx- is AFTER and including

Be sure to check out our online parts catalog and if you make the purchase before the end of the year you can take advantage of the special BenzForum discount offer (see announcement in the forum for details).
That fact that you took the time to answer my question in a detailed manner has already guaranteed that I will purchase from your on-line shop.

I searched my car and found this:

VIN: WDB DA29D7KF555705

Your parts catalog gives me these ranges:

10-020231-
12-067444-

What should be my choice? I want to make sure I get the right part so your help is highly appreciated.

Thank You

Nick

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi AMDevil, as is often the case the answer is a little more complicated. Do you know if the car has the original water pump that came on the car or has it been replaced? The newer version of the pump has a bolt that connects the metal line to the pump that comes from the block. Apparently the older version did not connect in that manner. Also, based upon your VIN number we were able to identify that your car has an automatic and should use the pump that will come up if you select the engine range 12-067444-, in this case the "12" indicates the automatic. By the way, the engine sequence number should be somewhere on the block - probably on the RH side where is can be reasonably viewed. Engine numbers are usually stamped on a pad that is cast into the block for that specific purpose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ajcrowe said:
Hi AMDevil, as is often the case the answer is a little more complicated. Do you know if the car has the original water pump that came on the car or has it been replaced? The newer version of the pump has a bolt that connects the metal line to the pump that comes from the block. Apparently the older version did not connect in that manner. Also, based upon your VIN number we were able to identify that your car has an automatic and should use the pump that will come up if you select the engine range 12-067444-, in this case the "12" indicates the automatic. By the way, the engine sequence number should be somewhere on the block - probably on the RH side where is can be reasonably viewed. Engine numbers are usually stamped on a pad that is cast into the block for that specific purpose.
The pump I removed was the original one.

There is a sequence of numbers on the intake manifold:
R103 141 16 01

There where also numbers on the block itself located at the front of the engine above where the belts are situated:
R 103 016 03 06

I really do appreciate all your help. So should I just choose engine range 12-067444- or do you see anything that would say otherwise?

·
Registered
453 Posts
We want to make sure you get the correct parts. Let me do some research in the morning and I will send you a PM with the results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ajcrowe said:
We want to make sure you get the correct parts. Let me do some research in the morning and I will send you a PM with the results.
Sounds good to me. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts