Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 30 - 45 seconds of continued idling after the key is turned off. the person i bought this 300D from said it had never done that before until the day she gave it to me (yes i believe her).

based on a little research here i'm guessing its a leaking vacuum system bit somewhere.

but if someone who actually knows something about mb diesels would confirm that it would be helpful. i plan on asking my mechanic to try to fix this problem

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes it is likely you have a vacuum leak. Take a look around the engine compartment to see if you can find any loose or cracked vacuum lines. Also, the problem might be with the ignition key set itself. Try to wiggle the key when this happens to see if it helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
up hill vs downhill makes a difference

i've noticed that the engine seems to turn off faster (a few seconds versus about 30 seconds or more of run on) when it is on a fair incline pointed uphill and it seems to be much slower when pointed downhill - i finally gave up on the down hill point, opened the hood, and used the manual shutoff lever.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The most common part to fail that causes this is this . Look for it atop the injection pump above the shutoff lever. If it holds vacuum (use a mityvac), then your problem is elswhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts