Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've long heard that the european headlight set up was far better than what the U.S. specs were in '87. I was wondering if all of that was just noise or if it was really true? Was also trying to get an idea of cost and if it require a lot of modifications (body or otherwise).

I'm already running a higher output bulb, but not seeing all that much improvement -- especially driving long distances in areas with no street lights.

Anyone have some insight they'd be willing to share?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have been wanting to do this for some time. It just seems that I have always found something better to with the money that it costs. Maybe I should call my friend in Germany and see if he can get some off a junk car...

I have heard nothing bad of the conversion, except some brand to avoid (I don't remember the name). I believe there might be an issue with the small filler panels under the lights fo this conversion.

Where are you in Socal? I think I remember the "e-class owner's bible" listing a shop in Van Nuys that does this conversion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in South Orange County --Half way between LA and San Diego. Van Nuys is a little over a hour away...but I'm up there fairly frequently.

Any direction you could point me (especially brands to avoid!) would be really appreciated!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cracker,

Any chance you can upon that referral source for the euro headlight conversion? I'll be up in the valley later this week and timing would be good on my end to check it out.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey, sorry I missed responding to this. I know bosch and hella are good brands for the headlights, and there are even some good indian ones whose names escape me. The basic rule of thumb is to be sure that they are made with glass lenses and metal housings. There are some plastic copies out there that are a metling/fire hazard when using more powerful lights.

The "e-class owner's bible" has a good procedure outlines for the euro conversion, even so far as the in-car controls for beam adjustment. They also list the place in Van Nuys as being "bergwerks" at 6318 Sepulveda Blvd. (phone no. 877-230-5376 or 818-781-2770). The paragraph I have in front of me lists them specifically for bypassing a warning light, but I thought I read elsewhere that they do the conversions.

HTH

-Neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts