Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i been lookin around for an exhaust for for my 06 cls500, ive already done a resonator delete and i notice the difference pretty much only at high rpm's. Im looking for a fuller, deeper sound, maybe slightly choppy something like the 63's but im not looking to spend thoousands and thousands on it. Ive thought about deleting the mufflers and putting the resonator back on with the stock tips but i feel like its the cheap way out, and im bound to get a ticket. i also called someone about remus mufflers and sum1 wit and magnaflow mufflers with quad tips, but if i do something with quad tips im gona need a bumper that can fit the quads, or cut into it, and i have a non-amg. i would love headers but the price just isn't worth it to me any ideas or suggestions? Pick up best exhaust for camaro v6 for my friend was easier... I want to make my exhaust sound a bit more throaty. I want it to sound mean, not so quite. Ive seen that a lot of people on YouTube and what not are cutting out their resonators and making their exhaust sound a bit more aggresive....is their anything that I should be aware of before I do the same?? thanksss

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd consider Dynomax Ultraflow welded mufflers. I have the oem muffs on my benz but I'm considering them. I have the Ultraflo on my truck and they're the only ones that have a nice deep yet quiet tone but also give the max possible flow. The only issue, at least in my truck, is the fiberglass blows out after time so I have to repack it. They're guaranteed not to this but they will not honor it. However, my truck is much harder on mufflers so I'd expect them, or any glass pack, to last for many years to life on your car. I'd imagine they make one that fits in the oem locations, more or less. If it were me I'd weld on flanges to the oem pipes, then to the Ultras and your oem muffs so you can easily swap back and forth for whatever reason. Looking at my oem muffs I wonder if packing them with glass would make it quieter, but I can only see so far into the tail end so who knows what else is inside. Note; I have a turbo eng so my muffs are no doubt different than yours. The thought is you could open yours up and make changes, and maybe add glass, but you have to see what's inside first. The advantage is they already fit the car well. I like the ex to be as quiet as possible yet minimal resistance, which after quite a few muffs in various cars and especially my truck, is why I ended up with the Ultras. They not only have the best sound I've ever heard, equalled by some but never beat, but also can't be beat on flow. ALL other mufflers I've tried hurt power, some excessively. For example I once added a set of small bullet glass packs that used louvers instead of holes inside thinking it would quiet my truck a bit further at no loss. I got about 100 yards and pulled them off. They did nothing for the sound but killed power.
Packing the ultras isn't very hard, I just cut a 2" hole on flat areas to each side of the outlet pipe, drill/tap for three (or 4) stainless 10-24 screw holes and used 2.5" round disks as covers. Or maybe it was 2.5" holes and 3" discs, I can't recall since it's been almost 20yrs. When I notice it getting louder I repack using regular home insulation and a stick and hammer to pack it in tight. I get compliments all the time on the sound. One neighbor says "I get a F'in hard-on every time I hear that thing." They guy was like 65 but an old racer, funny stuff...
Fyi I first tried the regular Ultraflos, which are not heavy gauge metal welded together but made like a regular mufflers from thinner steel. Didn't last very long before I stressed the sides as they fatigued from pulsating and in short order started to sound like a steel drum. I did mention my truck is hard on muffs. The heavier welded ones are still cheap and you can drill/tap them so there's zero advantage to the regular ones. I got them from Summit Racing, I think ~$50ea back in the day.
I used 3/8" thick 3-hole flanges btw. Use common 1/4" ones and you'll regret it like most everyone else because they bend and will usually leak. I also mismatch the flange to the pipes so where the pipes mate together is not where the gasket is. So the ex side flange has ~1/4" of pipe sticking out and the muff side the pipe is recessed the same amt. Never had a gasket blow since doing that. I also use the graphite gaskets because they don't stick and rip apart on removal. I think they were Mr Gasket.
And get the oval-ish muffs, not the round bullet, because the ovals are quieter due to more space inside. Same with overall size, get the biggest that will fit and imo that includes cutting off a corner or whatever it takes to make a bigger one fit in your car. Again, the welded ones are thick so you can easily do that sort of stuff.
I think with those muffs and no rez it should sound awesome, and flow as much as is physically possible. I don't know what the resonators look like inside but my guess is they hurt power. So that's my 2 cents for a very cheap yet unbeatable setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts