Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new C320 sedan. The other day while driving on 580, I heard a noise in which I thought my car had stopped, and when I checked it had not. Then I could hear air coming from somewhere, I proceeded to check all windows and found all were up. Then I looked up to the sun roof and discovered the air was coming from there, I pulled back the sun visor and discovered a hole in the class. This was not there prior to driving the car for that morning nor was it there several days before.

The dealership has been contacted and have refused to cover the repair, although there findings were inconclusive. I truly believe the glass sun roofs to be defective. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've never heard of this happening spontaneously. I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the sunroof glass is made of the same material (laminate) as the windshield. That said, something has apparently breeched the integrity of the glass. Did you travel under any overpasses??? Were there any little rock throwers along the interstate that day??? Could have it been damaged in an automatic car wash??? Just some thoughts. Let us know. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no overpaths or rock throwers at all. As stated previously, I was just driving along and heard air coming from somewhere and I knew all windows were closed. Proceeded to check them anyway and found the air coming from the sun roof. I pulled the visor back, there it was a hole (a hole) in the sun roof. The roof was not damaged the day before or the day of the drive.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had worked on a car with almost the same thing supposively happened. I believe it was an ML. The customer stated that it just spontaniously shattered. The whole sunroof glass shattered completely and made a mess in the interior and all in the sunroof tray. I ended up cleaning the glass all up and replaced it. But, if I remember correctly, we did not cover it under warranty. I believe their insurance company took care of it. I have absolutely no idea why it broke. Perhaps it was defective, but the only ones that would know would be MB or the manufacturer of the glass (not sure who it is, PPG maybe?). How big was this hole anyway?

Oh BTW jack, the sunroof is like a side window, It'll shadder into pebble size pieces when broken, and isn't laminated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Zewerr.....thanks for the correction. I had one replaced some time ago (I believe in an S model) and the installer told me it was laminate. Learn something new everyday. :oops:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your reply. The hole that was in my sun roof was about as big as a tennis ball. And MB would not cover it under warranty, and I understand that. However, they would not fix it eventhough their findings were inconclusive (that sucks). They tried to tell me that a rock hit it prior to that day and when I started to drive it the next day it just shattered. Not so, there was nothing wrong with my sun roof the day before and nothing hit it.

The glass did come through the sun vents in my car, but most of it was captured in the sun roof tray. My insurance company is taking care of the cost ~1500$. I wish their was something that I could do to get MB to pick up this tab, but I have run up against a brick wall with them and frustration has set in. I do appreciate your answering back and I will share this information with MB.

(P.S. If there is anyone else out their with a similar story, please do post it on the forum so that when I pick up my car and I share it with MB.)

Thank you....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts