Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am quickly closeing in on the end of my factory warranty. What company will I get the most for the less? I have less than 3,000 miles left before I will need coverage. Of cource I want to cover the main stuff. The really expensive stuff but just the other day I want to open my glove compartment and the handle fell off. That's never happen to me in any car I have ever owned. What's up with that? 8O

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your MB is acting like one of my Harley Davidsons (parts fall off all the time.......it's the nature of the beast) :wink: . As far as the extended warranty, there are more than several out there. Best way is to do a Google search and research your options. Remember to compare coverage and premiums.
As far as the handle falling off..................it's a car, not a temple. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Search Western General. Very good company. I've had extensive dealings with them in my shop and they seem to consistently take the best care of their customers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the company name. I will check them out.
As far as my car being a temple? I have no illutions but I bought it only a few years ago. Would this kind of thing happen on a Toyota? Take a look at what the TV show Top Gear did to a Toyota truck last year. It's amazing!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can't comment because I've never owned a Toyota product but they do enjoy a good reputation. I can say this.......I've seen many people go into a Audi, Cadillac, Lexus (name the high end auto) purchase with the illusion the machine will perform trouble free forever.
My neighbor owns a Ferrari. The car can usually be found in one of two places....the shop or his driveway. These cars are engineered and produced by people. Nuff said. If it seems as if I'm defending MB I'm trying not to; but where would you want to be (God forbid) in a high speed accident? MB or Toyota? I'll take the MB.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know I bought this car to survive a high speed accident.
I do appreciate what you are saying but come on, It's a 2003. That can't be considered forever, is it? You must know someone that owns a Toyota or Honda. Have you ever heard them complain about anything with their cars? One fact you may not know about Toyota is they do have very good accident ratings. So why didn’t I get a Toyota? Because I have always loved the Benz look. My next car will not be Mercedes. I love the look but I don’t really care to look good on the side of the road or at the shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, german cars are not superior quality. It is just a fact of life. IIRC BMW has the best quality of the German makes. That being said, you dont buy a German car for quality, you buy it for how it feels on the road.

I would take ANY of my old vws over a new honda any day of the week. Why? Just drive a corrado and then compare it to a civic si. How do you feel driving it? When I drive my girlfriend's civic, I get the same feeing as if I was driving a microwave down the street. It is just a reliable appliance, nothing more or less. It has no soul to it and I dont feel the urge to push it around that next turn. I get this feeling when I drive a German car.

Disclaimer: All comments about Hondas do not apply to the S2000

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure you understand we would have to be fair in comparing the classes of Honda's and Toyota's to the German cars just like an old VW is nothing like a new one. The longer we allow the German cars the idea that we as a consumer are only looking for luxury, they will continue to make pretty junk.
Interesting foot note you have there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Celery, are you saying that the Germans don't currently make the quality cars of years past but they previously produced quality/reliable cars?

While living in Europe for six years I owned two Mercedes (190E/200E) and three Opels (Vectra, Corsa, Astra), all Euro specs. Without exception they were all quality/reliable cars, with excellent mileage.

Now that I am back in the U.S. I own a 2003 C320 and so far it is a quality/reliable car.

I would appreciate your insight into why you think German cars are not superior quality.

Is there a difference in the Euro spec cars vs. exported cars?

Thank you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is an interesting question you pose. I have read and heard that German cars sold in the US are not the same quality as those sold in the rest of the world. I don't know if this is true or not but I wouldn't be surprised. My son was stationed in England in the Air Force and he told me that the taxies there were better made than the Mercedes we buy her for way more money.

What I do know is that everyone I know that owns a Mercedes and those they know have had many problems with their Mercedes. I heard a radio program on NPR talking about the Mercedes CEO before the one that is there now. They talked about how he was not a car inthusiest. The one they have there now loves cars and said he would have Mercedes back at the top of the reliability list by the year 2006.

I hope others will shed some (objective) light on this subject.

I love my Mercedes. I have always wanted one. This is my second one and my first new one. Loveing my car could be better if it was put together as well as the Toyota cars.
This is not Mercedes hate. This is just saying it as it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hosea, I spent a bit of time in Germany while living in Italy and also had German business associates. The Germans as a culture are still meticulous about their work and products.

I bought three German Opels brand new and they are fantastic automobiles. Unfortunately the mob in Italy liked two of them apparently because they were stolen out of our fenced driveway, but that is another story. :(

The Mercedes cars that I owned there we much older, i.e. built in a different era so it is hard to draw any conclusions from their good reliability vs. Mercedes built recently.

Mercedes vehicles in Europe are of course much more common in Europe and are frequently used as taxis and police cars. They are also very reasonably priced for Americans because they can be purchased VAT (tax) free. The VATs in most countries start at 20% and go up from there.

So far we are still happy with our C320 that we bought used with 14,000 miles.

Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts