Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2004 c230K, Silver with Charchol interior, Six speed manual, CD-Changer, and 7 spoke sports wheels with low profile tires (I am not sure the code for these bad boys :) )

I've done the one thing to the car that ALL of you should; at least 2 coats of Zaino :D

I have a few questions:

1) This might belong on another forum, but I notice shifting from first to second is really rough. I don't have any problems with any other gears besides 2nd. Its somewhat normal due to the gear differential between 1st and 2nd being the greatest, but I was wondering if any other owners had this problem. I used to shift around 3000rpm, but I've been shifting around 4000-4500 now, and its not as rough.

2) I was driving in the merge lane today, and this bloody honda crv or something was in front of me, and refused to merge to let me stretch the kompressor :) So anyways, I tried to pass him, and had to give it all I got. So, I've been looking for a chip or something for the ECU that could improve performance.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The shifting problem was very common in the first 203's, but is less so in newers cars, but is obviously still there in yours. It should improve with two or three thousand miles.

I am very sceptical of chips for Mercedes. You can try Power Chips. They claim some results for the M271 engines. On poster on another board is getting multiple BAS/EAS malfuntion reports since changing to a Power Chip. Other users are having no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed you have a six speed. I think anytime you travel above 5mph or so, 1st gear is locked out. Have you seen that too?

Also, I know the recommended PSI is 28, but to me that seems low. I'm running at 28 now, but I was thinking bumping it up to the 35 range might improve tread wear and handling. Also, how is your MPG? I'm getting around 23-24 in the city and about 28-30 on the highway, with 1600 miles on it. Is it common for gas mileage to improve once the car is broken in?

And as an added bonus, do you know the C code for the 7 spoke sports rims? :p

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
There is no first gear lock out. Every standard trasmission I have driven in the last 35 years is hard to shift into first while moving at more than a quick walk. There is no need to do so. After a few thousand miles, I find that my car will shift into first at higher speeds. I don't routinely do it, I was just experimenting after reading complaints similar to yours.

28 is too low for the fronts. My front tires are worn at the shoulders, especially the left one. Guess which way the cloverleafs turn. :D On the other hand 32 seens to be high for the rear tires. My rears are completely shot and the wear is in the center. If I could put the shoulders from the rears on the front tires, I would have two brand new tires.

The sport package was the C7. All items from that package are standard on the 2004's including the short throw shifter on the six speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the clarification Lynn. What do you recommend for psi for the tires? I don't have any noticeable wear as of yet, but as I know treadlife on these things is minimal, I want to do whatever I can to improve it.

I might try running the front at 30 and the back at 30 and let you know the results.

Also, did you put the RENNtech kit on your car (or whatever RENNtech offers for the c230 sedan?) How are you finding it if you have...

In terms of performance, is the 10,000 mile service excessive, in so much as a lot of owners perform their own maintence around the 5000 mark? So many questions about the Kompressor!

By the way, how many coats of zaino have you applied? I've only got 2 coats of z2 on mine, and the slickness of the paint is unbelieveable. I want to put another 2 on in the next week. I'll post pictures when I get them on :p

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm really not sure what pressures to run for max wear. It depends on your driving style and conditions. I tend to go more for performance. I can tell you exactly what pressures to use in Falken Azenis Sport tires for autocrossing on hot asphalt. :D

I don't have any Renntech items.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 10,000 mile service being excessive.

Right now I don't think the Zaino is too thick. I need to use some bug and tar remover then clay the car, touch up some chips, rewash and do the Zaino. Since the weather here goes straight from hotter than hell to cold and rainy, it didn't get done. Yet. I do keep it washed, even in the winter. Hand washing at 35 degrees is not fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a little concerned with my alignment, since for some reason when I let go of the wheel, its drifting to the left. I did notice my left front tire is losing air pretty rapidly, its down 5 psi since last thursday, so that might be the issue. I just might have to invoke the tire warranty!

As for the 10,000 mile service intervals, I have been reading a lot of other cars forums (my friend bought an rx-8), and a lot of them change their oil/air filters and oil at 1/2 intervals due to their oil being pretty dirty by about 1/2 way to their next scheduled service. I know these are rotarys and that could explain it, but was wondering if anyone does that.

I hope you get your zaino on soon. I'd say dawning the car is more important then even claying. I didn't clay since the car was brand new, just washed twice with dawn, and the results are fantastic. Also might use some Z2 or Z6 on the rims to decrease brake dust and dirt accumulation.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I changed my oil and filter at 2,500 miles. Since then I have stuck with the 10,000 mile recommendation plus or minus a thousand or so. My Service A was a little late at over 11,000, but then I did have the change at 2,500. I just had Service B done at 19,000.

When Mobil1 first became availabe, it was advertised as being good for 25,000 miles with oil filter changes at 5,000 mile intervals. Just because oil is dirty doesn't mean it should be changed. The suspended particulates are too small to do any damage. Now, if there is dilution of the oil because of leaky rings or tip seals in rotaries, then the oil does need to be changed often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts