Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well - my amazing mechanic - Ernie at Automeister 2 in Kirkland WA - has finished getting the 300D in proper running baseline of maintenance.

now I must rid the car of the weird smell. After taking out the seats and cleaning everything in site - the car still has an old funny smell.

i think this must due to the old horsehair seats (horsehair! yikes) so I want to get rid of them and get new seats - all 3 of them (the two front and the one rear seat plus the rear seat backrest)

anyone know the best way to ensure getting clean, non-smelly good quality seats?

this is going to be a sweet little car. hoping to get another 200k out of it

thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Prior to replacing the seats, you may wish to take the seats out of the car and then smell the car. It may or may not be the seats.

Take a good whiff of the seats once you have them out.

I replaced my leather seat covers and horsehair about 5 years ago. The leather was dry and cracked and it was (apparently) impossible to remove the old seat covers without severely ripping them. Vinyl may be a different story--not sure if you have vinyl or leather seat covers. It was difficult to find an upholstery guy to do this job for a good price. The guy that did mine for about $1500 is in Santa Monica, CA. Seats still look and feel soft/nice with regular Lexol treatments and sun visor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts