Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the ad, (I'm going to ask for the VIN # next): 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300D Sedan 4D Turbo Diesel - immaculate. Gold exterior, leather interior, power moonroof, locks, windows, steering. Have moved to NYC and need to unload it for cash. Great condition inside and out. No tears, dents, scratches anywhere. Immaculately maintainted, runs great, mechanic who services it says it's good to go for another 150,000 miles easy. 4 brand new all-weather tires w/65,000 mile warantee.

$4500 obo

Questions: 1) How pricey are the MBs to fix/repair and 2) apparently this model year is low on the #s imported -- 3) are the parts cross-referenced to other years also?

Any advice or information would be helpful, thanks!

My research has found this:

Only 400 diesels imported into the U.S. that year.

Engine: 5 Cyl. Turbo Diesel
Trans: Automatic
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
(not sure of the ACTUAL mileage, but I think it's over 100K mi = I'm guessing)

Equipment
  • Air Conditioning
  • Power Steering
  • Power Windows
  • Power Door Locks
  • Cruise Control
  • AM/FM Stereo
  • Cassette
  • Dual Front Air Bags
  • ABS (4-Wheel)
  • Leather
  • Dual Power Seats
  • Sliding Sun Roof
  • Alloy Wheels
These price values below are based on a 150,000 mile (again, not SURE
of the actual mileage):

Private Party Value "Excellent" = $9330
Private Party Value "Good" = $9,135
Private Party Value "Fair" = $8,330

Retail Value = $9510

·
Registered
584 Posts
You left out the phone number! :lol:

Sounds like a great deal to me! Mine has been wonderfully reliable, with my only complaint being that it is slow, at leat relative to the rest of my cars. Some of the cars had problems with the timing chains. Mine and my mother's (both '93 300d's) were bought at the same time, and both needed new timing chains at 60,000 miles as diagnosed by separate mechanics (they were in different states at the time).

All in all, it has been a very relible car, easy to get parts for (visit our sponsor), and very economical (getting around 30mpg).

HTH,

Neil

·
Registered
26 Posts
Price is way to low unless the mileage is very high, which isn't a bad thing. I' guessing around 300k if he doesn't list the mileage. 150k example is worth about $8k-$10k. I looked a one with 290k miles that sold for $6,500. It was a nice car but not quite what I wanted at the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cracker928 said:
my only complaint being that it is slow, at leat relative to the rest of my cars.
What do you consider *slow*? I know the older 80s models are poky.

Are they economical on the wallet with maintenance?

I am still waiting for the seller to reply...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't have any 0-60 times, but it is quicker than the early 80's diesels, but slower than the '87 (bigger engine). Really, since I've tweaked the fuel mix, it is doing pretty well.

Yes, it is easy on the wallet to maintain, at least for a DIY. I have found that many parts are cheaper than a would be for a VW. The majority of my maintenance for theat car has been oil changes, tires, belts, a belt tensioner, and flex disks. I am overdue on doing the motor mount$, but that just means it idles a little rough. I likely need to replace some glow plugs as well, but that problem is easily bypassed by "double-glowing" the engine when cold. I guess that I have gotten lazy, but the car has been very good in spite of that. The car has 150,000 miles on it, and I got it 4 years ago from my brother when it had about 80K on it. New shocks were done at that time.

I keep on joking with my friend who has a VW Golf that I could never afford his car -the maintenace is too much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a good/great car care guide for the MB diesels on the internet?

Today I received am email from the seller. I hate when sellers don't answer your questions!!! Grrr! Oh, she did say the 'brakes were fine.' But that was the only Q she answered.

Anyway she'll be sending me the VIN# (later today she said).

Get those glow plugs replaced NOW! lol!

·
Registered
584 Posts
The bentley publisher's "e-class owner's bible" (available from our sponsor and many book stores) is something that I highly recommend and it includes model specific pre-purchase advice (so you may want to buy the book now), maintenance/service information, and modification advice. I probably refer to it as much as I do the factory maintenace cd's that I got from e-bay. The two combined seem to cover pretty much any issue that may arise.

Unfortunately, there are not really any mods available for this model car (not that you asked, but I did mention it above), but it is still a good reliable, economical, and comfortable commuter.

Sounds like you are doing a carfax, which is always good. If you can, get a dealer PPI.

Just some technical FYI that may be helpful, the car is a W124 chassis(or bodystyle, production years of 1986 to 1995) and the engine is an OM602 (5-cylinder 2.5liter diesel).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cracker928 said:
Sounds like you are doing a carfax, which is always good. If you can, get a dealer PPI.
Yeppers, this used car fishing is for the flying birds! Carfax has found numerous "junkie/rollbacks" so far.

Not that I didn't know this before, but a lot of the small corner auto lots, I have found, the cars don't add-up (fishie results).

Thanks for the tidbits! A PPI is next if I ever get a VIN #!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Can't say I have. Looks like an interesting service though. A great sales tool if they give a good independent inspection...

One reason I recommend dealer PPI's is the fact that Mer-B often honors ancient recalls for no cost. This gives the buyer an advantage if a problem exists that MIGHT be fixed for free unbeknownst to the seller. Furthermore, they are intimately familiar with the model's common issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need advice about the belt tensioner on my '86 300 sdl. It is sitting crooked and sometimes squeaking. looks like the bolt is an allen type that hols it on. Looks like I have to remove the radiator. Would the bolt be broken?? or just loose>
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts