Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. (Hi, all!) I've owned an '82 240D in the past, and now have an '83 300D. I've recently acquired an '92 300TD with ~170K mi. on it's clock. The seller cleaned it up quite nicely, but after a few days, I'm noticing the front oil seal weeping quite a bit. I have the Haynes manual and have seen the procedure for replacing the seal. (Looks fairly easy, I've replaced bunches of seals in my Jeeps over the years.)

If I dig in there and go to replace the seal, I'm afraid of what the sealing surface on the balancer will look like. On my Jeeps of the past, failing seals were usually accompanied by some nice grooves in the <whathaveyou> surface it's supposed to seal against. Meaning, the new seal won't be great. If the surface of the balancer is worn, I'll have to get a new one. Getting a new balancer *correct* is likely beyond my abilities. Do these parts usually need replacement at new seal time?

Should I just leave it to my local M-B magician?

I also need a *truly* comprehensive shop manual for W123s, not this Haynes business. Recommendations?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Moto,

There is a manual on ebay right now (no affiliation):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7915658869&category=34227

This is for the SD, but the motor (617) is for all practical purposes the same. Also, there is an online manual to your car (search for the skinnerbox manual) that is very comprehensive.

As for the groove, I suffered one on my '87 on the crankshaft. The fix was to replace the seal just slightly off that. No leaks. I don't think that the balancer was ever a concern in my case.

Hope this helps.

-Neil

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm sorry, the above references apply to your '83.

My experience in my '87 is relevent to your TD, since yours (602 engine) is basically mine (603 engine) with a cylinder lopped off. For your '92 I recommend the "e-class owner's bible", which our sponsor carries. I also supplement the information with a service cd that I got from e-bay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cracker928 said:
I'm sorry, the above references apply to your '83.

My experience in my '87 is relevent to your TD, since yours (602 engine) is basically mine (603 engine) with a cylinder lopped off. For your '92 .
Bah, my fingers are faster than my brain. My 300TD is an '82, not a '92. In this case, the seal goes against the balancer, not the crank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts