Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if this turns into a rant. I took my 1999 C280 to the dealership this w/e to have the the head unit reprogrammed to recognize the trunk-mounted 6 disc changer. After 3 hours, the service adviser informed me that the head unit had be programmed, but the CD player still did not work due to a break/tear/wet spot/etc/etc/etc in the fibre optic cable and that it would cost appx. $1k (mostly labor) to replace it because it runs underneath the carpet or some nonsense. I was not exactly pleased to hear this information after having paid $1k on various services and repairs earlier in the week. :evil: To this end, I have the following questions:

1. Has anyone had success in mounting the 6-disc changer in the glove box? I'm thinking I might get off easier by just buying the new fibre optic cable and power cable myself and simply disconnecting the old ones

2. Failing that, has anyone found an aftermarket headunit (preferably with an onboard XM tuner) that will play nice nice with the Bose amplifier and not clip periodically?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If your Bose amp is connected to the headunit by fiber optics like the W203 C's, there is no headunit that can be used. The W203's have the cd changer in the glovebox. It sure as hell doesn't cost a grand to change out the fiber cable to the trunk. Typical dealer ripoff.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The Becker CD player headunit is a great improvement for the W203's which come with an Alpine cassette. I don't know what headunit your car uses. The W203 headunit won't fit in your car because it is an odd shape. The Becker cd headunit from a European W202, W208 CLK or W210 E will fit. It shouldn't be hard to change. Actually, it should be easier than changing on a W203 since the radio in you car can be removed with radio keys, while the dash of the 203 must be dismantled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts