Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fueling my 1998 ML 320 when all of the sudden the gauge dropped to O even thought I filled my tank. What can be wrong is the gauge bad or a blown fuse?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The in tank fuel level sender on the ML is a pretty common failure, especially with a car as old as that. It is not too bad of a job for an experienced DIYer, but if you don't not have experience working with fuel systems, I would leave it to the professionals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel gauge malfunction

Thank you for answering. My husband is a very experienced mechanic, but not on on MB. Where can we look instructions on how to replace it?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Remove the rear seat and pull up the carpet. There is an area that looks like the top of a paint can close to the hump on the left side. You need a large four fingered wrench or a huge channel lock to remove the screw on cap. Then use a fuel line tool to depress the two tabs on the lines and remove them from the pump/sender unit (all integrated). Replace the part and put it all back together. Make sure to use a good sealing compound to replace the paint can lid and get it on there straight (this is a safety issue).

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Happy to help. Make sure you've got very good ventilation. The fumes fill up in the vehicle very quickly. I still remeber the headaches from my days on the line doing these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts