Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is an extract of what appears to be the October 2004 issue of Car and Driver dealing with the changes from 2004 to 2005 for Mercedes Benz in the US 8O .

Unchanged: CLK-class, M-class.

Dead: C32 AMG, C230K, SLK230 Kompressor, SLK320, CL55 AMG, SL55 AMG, SLK32 AMG.

Future: The C230K will be replaced by a new B-class, which is based on the company's diminutive European A-class platform.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=36&article_id=8598

·
Registered
125 Posts
Replacing the C230

Hi,

I have read that in several publications. I doubt that the new B class will adequately replace a C230K. It is, as you note, based on the A Class, which I drove in Barbados. Small, twitchy steering and not particularly speedy. The B class might appeal to some new buyers but unlikely for most C230 owners. I have some interest in it but not much from what I have been reading.
With current gas prices, the C230 saves money plus, no oil changes and service every 5K, like the Japanese cars require. When it is time to trade I will need to think all this over carefully.

Al

·
Registered
263 Posts
From what I've read, the C230K will be sold elsewhere in the world, just not the US. As with others, what I've seen of the B class does not appeal to me and certainly won't be a replacement for my coupe when the time comes to purchase another car.

Unless MB comes up with something to act as a replacement for the C230K coupe, my next car may very well be a BMW coupe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those considering alternatives, the Audi A3 will be in Canada as an 06 model and will be based on the "B7" platform which is now available in Europe, but not yet in North America. I would expect that it hits the US showrooms at about the same time.

Some of the C230K fans may be tempted by a smaller and more robust version of the current A4 with the benefit of the 3rd or 5th door at the back. I understand that a quattro version of the A3 will also be availabe.

For a number of reasons that I have already posted, I am going for the new Volvo series, the V50 T5 AWD with a 6 speed transmission. It has many of the other features that I valued on my C230K, the Dynamic Stability Control, Equal Brake Distribution, rear air curtain, good head room in front and room for my 2 teenage sons in the back. (They don't fit in the back of the current A4 sedan, wagon or the BMW 3 series coupe. The Volvo even has the turn signals in the mirror housings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Benz Popularity

As mentioned above, I am a fan of the SLK. However, Mercedes has a surprising number of C230K' on the road, and one cannot help but think they put market share at risk if this car goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Future of C230 Coupe

It's my understanding that the coupe will continue to be available in Canada. It has sold reasonably well up there.

Not sure what the replacement here in the US will be but feel it's a big mistake to bring the A-Class to America. Americans don't think the way the rest of the world does when it comes to cars (think Bush). In Europe everything evolves around fuel economy and that means smaller cars.

Did any of you guys/gals see the Speed Channel presentation of the Paris Auto show? Man have they got some cool (small) cars on sale there. One was the Mercedes A-Class. Not a bad looker but feel it will not sell well here. Americans tend to see any car with a 'hatch' as an economy car to be avoided at all costs. And in a benz? Get serious. Americans still have that 'I have to have more than the Jones' attitude and that means bigger is better. The fact that it uses more gas and wastes resources never enters the mind set of 'most' Americans. The motto is: If I can afford it I want it. :x

Europeans, and Canadians to some extent, seem to take a more realistic view of their cars. I saw many small cars running around Montreal and Toronto last September. Never saw so many Toyota Echos in my life. That's why I believe the A-Class will be a winner in both Europe and Canada......but not in the US. Just ain't gonna happen :?

·
Registered
36 Posts
C230 K

Having recently moved to the Southwest, I must say it was surpising to see so many C230 sedans. I rarely see a coupe. Never cared for that body design, but that is a different tread. The sedan market would migrate to Audi/BMW/Volvo in a second.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They were perhaps only talking about one model.
Don't forget that in Europe with have 6 different C coupes:
C180K, C200K, C230K, C320, C220 CDI and C30 CDI AMG.

Perhaps MB will remove the 180 and 230 because the 3 models (with the 200) are too similar?...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Evariste said:
They were perhaps only talking about one model.
Don't forget that in Europe with have 6 different C coupes:
C180K, C200K, C230K, C320, C220 CDI and C30 CDI AMG.

Perhaps MB will remove the 180 and 230 because the 3 models (with the 200) are too similar?...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would love to get my hands on the C30 CDI AMG. Will not happen at least in California as diesels are banned for now. As I said already, Europe and to some extent Canadians have a different take on their cars. Here in the US the goal of 'most' is to have the biggest, baddest motor you can get. 180s, 200s and such just don't sell. Especially in a brand like Mercedes. Not sure what it will take here to get Americans out of that mindset...........5 dollar a gallon gas maybe........but even than I'm not so sure.......
I could be as dumb as Bush, but I just don't think the A-Series will sell in America. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can see a video of a C30 CDI AMG test, but it's in French:
http://turbo.m6.fr/essais/auto/212/

They made a test of the incredible Brabus V8 coupe sport too:
http://turbo.m6.fr/essais/auto/246/

About the A-class, I wouldn't buy one. I don't think any coupe buyer would buy one here.
But it's the cheapest MB, so people that could not afford a std MB now have a A-class which prices start around $25k (a C230K coupe is $40K).
And BMW just launched the new 1 series, which is a small car too! But with a more aggressive design. Will it be sold in America?

·
Registered
36 Posts
A series, M2?

The recent article (Car & Driver or Road & Track) on the new BMW M2 would seem to up the ante in lower cost, performance vehicles. I'd love to see a response from Benz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts