Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In March of this year the gas flap of my 2004 C320 would not open (how embarassing) at the gas station. I also was unable to open it through the trunk per the instruction manual. Roadside Assistance got it open by disassembling the locking device.
My local MBZ dealer replaced the "locking actuator/server motor fuel filler door". By the way, the previous day I had been driving over a bumpy road.
Today I just got back from the gas station, again unable to open the flap! I have a call into the dealer again, but it's after hours, so I don't expect a call back until tomorrow. Fortunately, I have enough gas to get to the dealer.
I have not gone over any bumpy roads since March; all I have driven over are a few speed bumps, and slowly, too.
The March repair order said "found electrical fault in lock actuator".
Is this a common problem (didn't find this under this forum "search")?
If I'm not mistaken, in March the plastic pin that goes through the metal loop on the inside of the flap had broken, but the piece was still inside the loop, keeping the flap locked. I did not try today to open the flap through the trunk.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's not unheard of. I had to get one working on the fly for a new car that was being delivered to the customer within minutes. Seems to affect the C more than other models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My nearest dealership is busy today, so can't do the repair. Roadside Assistance is due here soon to open the flap. I'm already scheduled at the dealership next week for my 10,000 mile service anyhow (not much mileage for a 1.5 year old car); I'll have it repaired then.
If this happens a third time, I'm thinking about disassembling the locking system and live without it. After all, don't gas thieves all know now that late model cars have locking gas flaps, and won't even attempt to open it?
My car is usually in my garage, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roadside Assistance just left (same guy as last March; he remembered us). The locking pin disconnected from the actuator, so he put it back on and all is well (for now, anyhow).
I'm carrying a T20 torx bit and ratchet in the trunk from now on, in case I'm far from R.A. someday and need to remove the actuator. Hope the tools are like insurance----now that I have them, I won't ever need them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts