Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newbie here !

After driving around in my brothers E230 Sportline (j Reg) I am thinking of getting one of the cars as in the Subject title above. I am on a tight budget so will probably be an early example - L/M/N or possibly P reg with high miles, so would really like to know all your thoughts and any problems to look out for, General day to day driving - Like the handling e.t.c. I would be getting an automatic version and would like to have a.b.s/remote locking+alarm and as many toys as possible !

+ how much for servicing and are there any independant servicing places around Bristol ??

All thoughts much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't know your area at all, so I unfortuntely cannot recommend a good repair facility. I can say that if budget is a major concern, a MB may not be the best option. Parts, etc. are a little bit more reasonable on your side of the pond, but they will still be more expensive than your average plebian makes. MBs require quite a bit of maintenence to keep them running/driving right. The main reason people drive these cars (save for the poor status seeking fools) is the way they feel on the road. In order to keep that feeling, the car must be very well maintained. I've probably spent $2000 dollars this year on parts on my '97 w/ not even 60K miles on it this year, and I do all my work myself. They are expensive to keep up. The last thing I want to do is discourage some one from getting into one of these cars, but know that it is almost a way of life to own one. Unlike any other, or so the marketing goes. Whatever your decision, make sure you get a thorough pre-purchase inspection performed by a tech that knows these cars. It will save you massive headaches in the long run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts