Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing a German spec. mercedes-benz from Europe. I can't seem to find any information on this, does anyone have any information or know where I can get some? I heard that it is very difficult to import vehicles into the US because of the EPA. If anyone has ever imported a german spec vehicle then please let me know. Also, if it is not possible to import a whole vehicle, does anyone know how difficult an engine is to import? I looking for modified engines: AMG, Carlsson, Brabus. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi

I was looking into purchasing a vehical from a private individual out side of Canada and inquiered what would be need to bring it in.
This car I was looking at was a BMW here is a few things you might want to consider.
Does it have automatic running lights?
If you live in canada does it have all the important instructions about air bags ect in french and english?
Does it have a child saftey teather in the rear seat?
Does its lighting meet local and goverment regulations ?
Emissions, most euro spec M serries cars will have a hard time with the emissions test since it is a different engine ? than Canadian and USA

I thought about it for a while and decided I would find a car in Canada, if your MB dealer is importing the car from europe you should not have any problems, if you, are be careful it could get expencive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. We are planning to import a few of these vehicles but if it is too expensive then we may have to import just the engines. I have looked into the EPA standards for the US. It looks as though there may be a problem with importing the vehicles and it seems like the problems out weighs the benefits. I was just wondering if anyone has ever been successful bringing the cars in and what they did. Also, what do you think about bringing engines in? Would there be a lot of difficulty there? Any response would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How bout if we were to import the engines in by quantity. Maybe 10-15 at a time? Would it be cheaper to buy directly from a dealer over here or have them imported over?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You would have to contact the suppliers of these engines to find out the prices and then contact the Customs Services to find out what if any import duties apply and contact various shippers to find out how much it will cost to ship engines. I think you will find it is cheaper to buy here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Do you know where I can get some information on these suppliers? I have been contacting a few manufacturers and distributors but nobody seems to export engines. Well, thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts