Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 300sd. I recently replaced all 5 of the glow plugs when I found 2 had gone bad. About a week later 3 of the new ones went bad.

I did not ream out the prechambers when I replaced the glow plugs. Could excess carbine have damaged the new plugs?

I tested the relay and it seems to be working right. It cycles off after about 20 seconds. All of the connections seem to be good.

Is there a good way to ream out the prechambers without buying the special reaming tool?

Thanks for the help. Jim

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, excess carbon can cause damage.

You probably could find some other method, but I have found that using the mercedes special tools is often the easiest way of doing the job.

I have cringed at some of the tool prices, but when doing it yourself, you are saving a fortune in mechanic's charges anyway.

HTH,

Neil

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does importpartsonline have the reamer to remove the glow plug carbon? I searched under tools and did not see it. And do I have the same prechambers in my 1986 300 SDL? I will be replacing the glowplugs this winter and I would like to do the job correctly. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your engine is different, so the prechambers probably are as well. Oddly, I don't think I have heard of this problem in the OM603 engines. While the tool for jimhammond's om617 engine is readily available, I am not having any luck finding a similar tool for the 603 either. There may be a good reason for this...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts