Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a diesel benz, looking to spend 2000 or so. I see some with 200K mile on them, wow. They go that far? Are they reliable?

What are good/best models and years for ease or working on and reliability? Defiantly want a/c and as much amenities as possible in the price range. I'll be doing the work on it myself. Easier to fix the better, but reliability is a major concern.

Thaind a lot for yout help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, 200K is not at all an issue for a diesel benz. Most people will say "It's just getting broken in..."

With reliabitly being a factor as well as the price, it sounds like you would have the best chances with an early 80's 240 or 300D. The 240D being the simplest and most reliable, try to find one with a manual transmission. The 300D's were all automatic in the US, but the benz transmissions are known for bein vrey robust as well. The 240D jsut needs all the power it can get and an auto will rob power.

Do a search on this forum for more info on these models (w123 bodies).

·
Registered
45 Posts
300D w 200k

I just bought a 300D today with 200k on it. it's a 1980. produces no smoke. runs great. already have B50 Biodiesel in it and it no longer smells much like diesel. some say these are slow cars but I find it plenty powerful. For $1500 it is one amazing vehicle. the insurance is shortly going to cost more than the outlay for the car did. : )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts