Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up to a party the other day and parked behind a Z4. At the party I met the fellow who owned the Z4 and he took me out for a spin. He gave me a tour of his car and pointed out all of the super cool features.

Returning the favor, I offered to take him out for a spin in my C230K.

My tour sounded exactly like his, but in the end mine accelerated faster and cost $14k less. This seemed to bug him.

I know this is almost apples to oranges, but I'll ask anyway. Why such a price gap? I thought Mercedes were supposed to be the lavishly overpriced ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lynn said:
BMW is the ultimate driving machine. You have to pay a premium for that. :lol:

A better question is, why does a comparably equipped 325c1 cost at least $4000 more than a C230k?
It's just my opinion, but as an outsider coming in (only been driving MB for 3 months) I believe that BMW is seen as the cooler "yuppie-mobile" while MB still has a bit more of the "old-money" image. When things are hot for the yuppies, the price will always scoot upward in a disproportionate fashion. Those of us who are old enough to remember the eighties recall how hot Audi was back then for these same people, until these driving wizards couldn't tell the diff between pedals. :roll:

Give it a couple of years. Then, it will be some other import. Again, just my opinion.

Tim 8)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tim's opinion is a good one. I agree. Also, why drive a "snot mobile" anyway. When was the last time you stopped at a light, gas pump, etc. and didn't see a 300 series BMW? Besides, I think you have to gel your hair and wear obnoxious gold chains when you buy one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can't really compare the price since Z4 is a roadster. To be completely fare you have to compare it to SLK230. I agree with Lynn's comment on 325, I can't see why it costs so much. A buddy of mine couldn't believe that my C230 has almost 20 more horses than his loaded 325xi. He was thinking that since he made 10k more for his car it should be faster as well :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts