Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an improvement I'm playing with. After my daughter left the door open on the wagon all night for the 3rd time (6 interior lights left burning) my friend suggested using LEDs as a replacement. They draw much less current, will basically never burn out, and are much faster to light.

He said he purchased some for his American made car here http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/aut1157/

That got me thinking about converting my brake lights and amber turn signals. The brake lights because they come on faster (Los Angeles being the rear-end capital of the world it seems), and the turn signals to be even more assertive (Let me over, please!). I've noticed that most UPS and Fedx trucks, as well as most of the 3 series BMWs are using them. The only question is if the change of draw will trigger the "burned out bulb" indicator on my dash or not.

Granted they cost more, but I think they add some safety and protection as well.

Any thoughts?
They would be going on to an '87 300 TD

·
Registered
584 Posts
Led's are supposed to be a great way to go. They are even getting approval for private aircraft. I have not tried these myself, but a friend has used them on his motorcycle with success. My only concern with using them in our cars is the possibility of setting oof the broken bulb light on the dash. I think to avoid this, the impedance would have to be matched to the factory specs by adding a resistor inline.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh, Cracker 928...you are wise beyond your years!

That would basically "trick" the system into thinking that everything was status quo...and once I figure out the resistance required, should be a low dollar fix as well. Since I think LEDs would outlive the life of the car I'm not even worried about them detecting an LED burning out (not sure if they would or wouldn't).

Would love to hear from anyone who's actually worked with these -- give us a yell!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just my $.02. Put in the bulbs and check that lights are all working when you wash or have your vehicle washed dont rely on something to remind us bulbs are out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts