Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the military and just transferred from Fort Meade, MD (where I'm originally from) to Goodfellow Air Force Base in San Angelo, TX. I just traded my Bass Tracker boat for a 1979 450SL today, and I already have a ton of questions.

The VIN is 107044-12-049403.....does this translate to anything, like American vehicles? The car was repainted at some point, and it was poorly done, so that needs to be addressed in the future. The interior needs work, as does some of the electrical. The original radio was taken out, and a Pioneer was installed, but it does not work.

The passenger side window rolled down, but wouldn't go back up. I had to take the door panel off and coax the window back up....I'm not touching it again, until I find out what's wrong with it. The brakes need to be redone, because they grind...hopefully they're as easy to replace as American cars. I took it to the car wash, to get rid of the grime.

When I got home, I turned the car off, and the brakes lights came on. When I turned the key to Postion 2, the lights go out. I don't know what that's about, but I've disconnected the battery in the meantime....maybe something got wet.

One of the previous owners kept very good maintenance records for the car. The transmission was replaced about 16,000 miles ago. The car has 195,000 miles on it now.

I have ten million questions to ask, but I don't know where to start, so I'll start perusing the posts, and maybe some of my questions will already have been answered.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm not too keen on the old stuff, but I can help you out alittle:

Vin 107 means that it's a 107 body, which is your generation SL. The 044 refers to the drivetrain package, which means it's a 450 (4.5L V-8), 2WD (not like SL's came in 4-matics). The 12 I believe has something to do with where the car was made. And the 049403 is basically the manufactoring sequence.

Doing brake pads is as easy as any other car, except for the wear sensors, which is no big deal. Doing the front rotors is like many cars, you'll need to repack the bearings. I believe it's not necessary for the rear rotors. With a car as old as it is and with that many miles, I'd take a good look at your brake hoses too to see if they need replacing.

The rest of it is over my head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
welcome,

i m basically on same car as u, but a 1977....been in family since new.

my problems all seem to be fuel system related. a very complex system, least in the 77 sl.

i m working on debugging, but seems one last gremlin remains, i ve also posted a help message....

i m thinking i should have passed on buying it back from my brother and found a late 80 s 560 sl....

best of luck ! !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts