Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to check the stretch on my timing chain this afternoon (83 300sd 617) and was totally shocked. I aligned the timing marks on the cam and look at the balancer and I want even close the degree marks. They marks were at least 45 degrees ahead.
Picture “timing mark TDC.jpg” shows the mark aligned
Picture “crankshaft position at TDC.jpg” shows what the crank position with the timing marks aligned at the cam.
When the cam timing marks are aligned the 1 piston is at TDC but the crankshaft position as you can see is totally off.
Picture “balance plate and timing pointer.jpg” shows the crankshaft position set to 0
Picture” cam position b0.jpg” shows what the cam position with the crankshaft position at 0
It looks like the PO must have put the balance plate on 45 degrees out of phase I thought there would be a key that wouldn’t allow that. So if I pull off the balancer how do I set it so that it is correct? Do I need to replace the chain ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the balancer rotated 180 degrees from where the PO had set it, everything lines up. I still cant tell if there is too much stretch in the chain. That will have to wait until I get the pins in. but much better.

I have attached a picture of the balancer on the crank aligned using a drill bit. I’m thinking it doesn’t look too bad. The one on the right of the picture looks like it is wallowed but the bit is tight I guess can’t really tell until I get the pins in.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts