Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! I just bought a 99 E320 and decided to start with an oil change. I've drained the oil but I can't find the filter! Can someone help me out ASAP and tell me where the oil filter is? Thanks in advance, Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
My guess is it towards the back of the engine on driver's side. It is a black top with Mahle scribbled on top of a black cap. Look over the engine not under. It may need a 70mm oil filter cap wrench also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's in such an unlikely place that you don't even know you're looking at it when you see it. When you're standing in front of the car with the hood open you'll see a big round cap (about 4" diameter) at the front of the engine just off to the driver's side at the front of the motor. Counter-clockwise to remove. You'll probably need an oil filter wrench to get it off. It's actually the most convenient place that I've ever seen for an oil filter. Right on top and out in the open. This filter is different than the typical metal can with paper inside; there's no metal at all, just a paper cartridge that fits under this cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot. You can also call Mercedes directly 24/7/365 at 1-800-FOR-MERCedes for any model and year and they'll be able to help you out with these types of questions. They'll also arrange for a dealer mechanic to come out for emergencies and help you if you're stuck on the side of the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts