Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the hartop on y 98 slk 230 will not retract. the trunk lid opens and the pump seems to run ok but the top will not budge. any one have any ideas??

·
Registered
678 Posts
There's probably a limit switch somewhere that isn't working right. 3 switches come to mind. One is fairly easy to get to, the others are kinda a pain. The easy one is the "trunk lid open" limit switch. The lever on this switch is very fragile and tends to break off with age. It's located on the right side of the trunk behind the trunk panel. You can reach it by removing the tail light access panel on the right (behind the factory CD changer, if you have one). If you open the hard top, the trunk lid will open, and the trunk lid tubular frame is supposed press against this switch when the trunk is open fully. It's kinda near the hydraulic ram on the right side. Look around, you should be able to find it. The switch should have a lever sticking out of it about an inch long. That's what tends to break off on these. If everything on that switch is ok, I'm thinking it might be one of the front latch switches. These have a tendancy to get stuck every once in a while. They are located under the headliner on the front section of the roof. You would have to take off the trim panels on the sides of the headliner and the screws of the headliner to be able to remove it to access the switches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the trunk switch seems ok and i checked the top switches they seem to open at the right times. the top still won't retract. the trunk lid opens like it should, i just can't seem to find anything on the tope mechanisms that leads me in any direction... that thing is frustrating me! any further ideas is greatly apreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happend to me - The oil tank was empty of oil & eventually traced it to both hydralic rams leaking. they are in the boot up undre the rear parcel shelf.
Cost about $2K to replace - ouch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts