Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 ML320 and I get some chattering on turns when i accelerate. Being a Ford Tech. I se this once and a while on the Fords. The ML has 25k miles on it and so i replaced the front and rear diff fluid with the reccomended fluid from MB and I added friction modifier to both front and rear. It has to work itself in for a couple of days in order to fix it but is this a common problem??? Also I feel as if my cooling fan clutch is always engaged. I hear the fan LOUD when i accelerate. Has anyone ever had these problems???
PS I'm new.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The first problem sounds like a transfer case shimmy to me. Which is common on the early ML's. It was kinda a design flaw in the TC that causes it, and the only way to really fix it is to replace the TC with the updated unit.

The second one could be the fan clutch has siezed up. Though it's very rare to see this happen. I've actually never seen an MB fan clutch sieze up in the 5+ years I've been working on them, but it's still a fan clutch, just like any other car, so it's possible that it's siezed.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Once again, if it's an early ML, and it vibrates and chatters when you hit the gas on a sharp, parking lot style turn, it's completely normal. If this isn't the description of your problem, then it's something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts