Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an '02 c230 kompressor coup. The stock lights are regular halogens, and I'm looking to put in the bright blue xenon lights that burn at around 8000K. Can I get away with just replacing the $1 bulbs (H7 xenon bulbs I believe) without buying the $200 HID kit? As I understand, the kits are used to reduce the drawing current thus reducing the temperature that your wires will be at when the lights are in use. Do I need this kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-05-Mercedes-Benz-C230-C240-ML320-6000K-8000K-HID-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ8026668495QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You cannot just plug xenon bulbs into the existing headlights. The halogen units draw 55 watts each while the xenons draw 35 watts each. However the xenons need a big kick to get them started. That is the reason for the kit.

However, I cannot recommend getting a kit. It is illegal in the US to use them. I know a lot of people do, but they are illegal. The reason in because it is extremely difficult to get the center on the xenon bulb in exactly the right location in the no-HID headlight housings. Also the HID arc is 90 degrees to the alignment of the halogen filaments. Both of these cause excessive glare, the former more than the latter.

The bi-xenon head lights from later year coupes can be retro-fitted. It is a more expensive option, but it is legal. Sorta. The laws are kinda gray.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts