Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 E320. This weekend, I was driving with the highbeams on and all of a sudden the highbeams returned to low beam. If I push hard on the switch and hold it in, the high beams come on but if I let go they go out.

What is the best way to get the turn signal stalk out? Do I have to pull the steering wheel?

Is this a common problem?

Keith Maxwell
Cincinnati, Ohio

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
They do break from time to time. You will have to pull the wheel to access it. It's really not that tough at all. MAKE SURE THE WHEEL IS STRAIGHT.You will need the mercedes airbag removal bits or a similar device (they are long torx bits to access the two screws behind the wheel that secure the airbag). The wheel itself comes out a (on most, at least) 10mm allen head (it's tight, bring a friend to hold the wheel so you don't damage the steering lock). unscrew the two phillips head screws that secure the clock spring. Be very careful no to pull it apart. Once it seperates, you are buying a new clock spring. They are pretty delicate. Once that is out, the rest is a piece of cake. For a novice, you are probably looking at and hour to an hour and a half DIY. Good luck with your project. If you have any further questions, let me know, I won't be back on until next Tuesday, but will be happy to help when I do return. I say this all the time, but let me know how it goes. I like to see the results and what your observation on the job are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further questions

Is there a sketch available fo this assembly. I am not exactly a novice but have gotten used to the "crutch" of assembly drawings. That is my biggest problem with the E320 is the lack of support manuals.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a follow-up. I got this problem fixed fairly esily and it didn't cost anything.

1) Disconnected the battery
2) Removed the two screws holding the airbag onto the steering wheel, using a 4MM allen wrench.

3) Unplugged the airbag by disconnecting the plug on the back of the airbag. Place airbag safely aside

4) I unplugged the two spade terminals connected to the steering wheel.

5) Using a 10MM allen wrench with a pneumatic impact wrench, the center screw came right out.

6) Steering wheel lifts right off - no puller needed.

7) Unscrew the three phillips screws , two in the turnsignal and one in the cruise control.

8) Lift out turnsignal and cruise stalks. Disconnect wire to turnsignal.

9) The housing actually comes apart and can be reassembled. It is held together by 4 clips wich need to be squeezed together.

10) Apparently the problem resulted from adirty contact. The dirty contact caused resistance in the copper strip in the switch. The strip heated up and deformed the plactic that moves the strip.

11) I cleaned the contact - applied dielectric grease.

12) I cleaned up the plastic part with an exacto knife.

13) I reassembled everything.

Now a word of caution- Everything did not go perfect. If I had followed the above directions I would be in fat city. Unfortunately, prior to reassembly, I hooked up the battery to test the switch. This caused the SRS computer to look for the airbag and since it was disconnected, I tripped the SRS code, causing the SRS light to stay on. This needs to be reset by the dealer. Other than that, no problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts