Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, on my 02 coupe, my seat belt did not retract properly, and when I closed the door, the seat belt connector cracked my rear speaker grill (on the door). I ordered the replacement part (only 8 dollars) from my MB dealer, but how in the world do I replace it? It appears that the entire door trim needs to be removed, and I have no idea how to do this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont have a 02 coupe, but on most benz and almost all cars the speaker grills can be removed with a screwdriver and in about 30 seconds. Check all around the speaker area and the door in that area for a screw, it may be flush mounted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neema,

Thanks for the reply, but there are no visible screws. I broke the grill off completely, but at the corners, where it is fastened, it appears that there may be screws, on the back side, which would mean that I would need to remove the the large door trim piece to get at it. I may just end up asking the MB techs, when I go to pick up the new grill (they had to order it).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pete,

Same thing happened on my daughter's 03 coupe last week, but I wasn;t as lucky as the part cost me $22.30+tax 203-727-03-88-9B51. In any case, the plastic cover/grill is NOT screwed nor snapped on from the inside, all the 3 posts + 1 tab are all melted by heat, since I didn't have the proper tools and as these are only seen inside, I heated up a mid-size flathead and pressed down to melt the posts & tab.

To get to the inside, I removed the torx holding the black U shape plastic surrond on the door striker, the torx behind the SRS plate, and the torx on the underside of the armrest which is covered by a round black plastic snap cap, then undo the normal plastic clips at the edge of the panel.

When I ordered the part last Friday, the parts guy simply told me that it happens more on the coupe due to the placement, and it is not all that unusual so I should not blame my daughter ;)

This OTOH is so minor comparing to what happened to me today - my H2 with 10k out of the blues gave me a low oil pressure warning, and followed shortly by loud chattering sound from the engine, must be those lifters! Got to wait till they drop the front diff & oil pan to figure what's wrong, its oil level was full BTW. May be Oil pump, although they rarely fail, or small piece of trash under the oil pump pressure regulator. It's built into the pump and only takes a small particle to keep it open and then -0- oil pressure. Good possibility. or may be loose oil pick up tube. Also possible.

What a PAIN!! ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the information. The new speaker-grill is now installed. I used a soldering iron to melt the 3 posts and tab. I tried a flat-head screwdriver at first, but it was annoying having to keep re-heating it.

Oh yeah, and it was $20 + tax. The $8 part that they originally ordered was the wrong one (it was a large foam circle), even though I spent ten minutes on the phone describing exactly which part I needed, and I supplied my VIN #.

Apparently, I'll have to be more careful when closing my doors, in the future.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pete,

Glad you got it done, you gotta admit that whatever process they used to "set" the plastic posts are really slick, they looked like a perfect rivet head.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
you don't have to remove it all the way, the panel that is, if you are doing the speaker grill towards the back seat. You can pull it out and have plenty of access after removing screws and clips.

I used a propane torch to heat up a metal putty knife and just cut the ends off and pulled it off.

To put back on I used a screwdriver to melt them down close, and then I switched to flat metal putty knife to smooth it flat. Pretty slick and quick

This job with door panel all the way off would be incredibly easy though, especially if you had a specially designed melting gun like the factory uses. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you remove the door panel on a 2003 clk 430 . I took the trim piece at the latch and was able to get 2 of the plastic anchors off. Should I pry it any more ? I'm replacing the speaker covers.

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
How do you remove the door panel on a 2003 clk 430 . I took the trim piece at the latch and was able to get 2 of the plastic anchors off. Should I pry it any more ? I'm replacing the speaker covers.
Instructions;

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts