Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am thinking about driving from L.A to seattle for the X-mass and there is gonna be some snow on the I-5 freeway. I will be put my stock tires back on, but do you think it will be safe to drive on with snow-chain on, don't really wanna buy snow tires... Did any of you guys drove on the snow with the chain before?
How was it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Snow??????

Where exactly do you think that you are going to get into snow between LA and Seattle??? It has been crazy warm the last week in the Willamette Valley... :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
lol, chains! :lol:

Completly useless unless it's deep deep snow. And you'll hate yourself on dry road! :wink:

If the weather is good, then I don't see any trouble. If you meet a snow storm, be smart and stop in a hotel and wait until the road are ok! :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Stephen_B said:
lol, chains! :lol:

Completly useless unless it's deep deep snow. And you'll hate yourself on dry road! :wink:

If the weather is good, then I don't see any trouble. If you meet a snow storm, be smart and stop in a hotel and wait until the road are ok! :wink:
Stephen_B is right, first chains are not only noisey but can do real damage where snow tires would work just as well. Secondly I would consider a different vehicle for a winter trip to an area that could have real snow, if that is not possible and the weather gets bad know when to abort the mission and protect yourself, your loved ones, and your car.

Snow tires maybe a PITA, but most things in life are a PITA, but nowhere as much as an accident or 10 hours stranded in a car trying to avoid frost bite.

Plan for the worse and enjoy your self when it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Snow chains are useful in mountains and are mandatory in France and Swiss. In France the police will even not let you go up to Chamonix or Flain if you don`t have chains.

However on flat places like Eastern States and Canada snow tires are perfect. I live in Montreal and I never ever have seen snow chains. City is completely flat. And even in the deep North natives happily ride their cars with snow tires.

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230:Snow--what that?

Ok folks,

Lets get this straight. It doesnt always snow in Canada. It snowed only once over here on Southern Vancouver Island--no problem, I stayed home and watched football!!

Now, remember, that whatever great winter tires you may have--ice and snow together are nasty! Ice on the roads -- the black ice especially, will fool you and snow tires wont save your skins either.

So. the moral is to use the snow tires carefully and beware of the ice because it doesnt matter what you drive. The ditch is still the ditch.
I've been there. I now drive like I have bald tires and, mostly, stay on the road.

cheers

Al :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: C230:Snow--what that?

Benzbaby said:
Ok folks,

I now drive like I have bald tires and, mostly, stay on the road.
Sounds like sage advice, good old common senses can be better than any snow tires or chains, but when used together they are a powerful combination. Slow down expect the worst, and arrive alive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually snow tires should be called winter tires.
They are not only useful on snow, but when it's dry and cold too!
The fact is that summer tires get too hard wen temperature goes under 10°C (50°F) and can slip even on a dry road.
Winter tires are much softer so have a better grip.

But even with winter tires you should be very careful on snow and the potential ice under it...

About chains, it's forbiden to drive on dry roads with them and speed is strictly limited to something very slow.
They should be used only when indicated in high mountains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chains should be used only in areas that have heavy snowfalls and there are snowplows that pass on rare occasions. If using chains, u should drive at very slow speeds.

Here in Montreal we have heavy accumulations of snow and we use snow tires. The brave ones use 4 season tires, however I wouldn't recommend them unless u drive a front-wheel drive car.

I just put on a pair of Blizzaks on my 17" and they are wonderful. :lol:

Take care

Taranch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts