Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post. Looks like a great site! I have a 2018 S560 rear wheel drive. I've heard from Mercedes techs that there is a way to completely disengage and turn off the ESP traction control on the W222. They are not allowed to tell me how to do this and suggested I check here. I've watched several YouTube videos of how to do this but none of them covered my car and their procedures didn't work on mine. Does anyone know the procedure?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know if you mean the usual method via the buttons on the steering wheel, or a more permanent method. I forget the menu path but I use the buttons on the left, and I believe it's five right arrow, two down arrow, then Ok. Cruise control won't work with ESP off, which is a biggie for me because I use it all the time, so I only turn esp off if I want to lay some rubber or something. Pretty sure I recall the ESP turns back on after a restart, so certainly not a permanent setting. Mine is a 2016 E550 so the menu, possibly everything, may not be the same as yours. I'd assume you have it, but you never know.
I'd love to turn off the ABS as well, but I haven't found that one. I've had a few close calls thanks to ABS, and when getting squirrely I consider abs pretty much dangerous. I've seen a lot of car crash vids where abs was the cause. Or I should say the driver got himself into a mess and abs ensured impact. If I was driving and abs was off, it would not have happened. A lot of other safety features annoy me as well, and I'm trying to find the time to learn how to turn them off. I believe I have I have the right hardware and software to do it, but how is currently over my head. Basically I have an Xentry setup with a C4 multiplexer, Vediamo and misc other programs I don't know what they do. I've seen a lot of youtube vids where guys, often speaking Russian, or English with such a thick accent I can't understand them, are explaining how they make this and that changes using Vediamo. The last one I saw was turning off Eco mode, or optionally, setting it to remain how you last left it, which is what I wanted.
There is also Dyno Mode, which obviously allows the car to spin the rears while the front isn't. I only used that once. I just remember that the headlights wouldn't turn on with that active, and it was night when I tried it so it was a fail. It may kill other stuff too, like maybe brake lights or who knows what...
Dyno Mode: Ign to position 1 and scroll dash until mileage is displayed. Press and hold Phone answer, then OK and hold both until the secret menu pops up, which was like 5 seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if you mean the usual method via the buttons on the steering wheel, or a more permanent method. I forget the menu path but I use the buttons on the left, and I believe it's five right arrow, two down arrow, then Ok. Cruise control won't work with ESP off, which is a biggie for me because I use it all the time, so I only turn esp off if I want to lay some rubber or something. Pretty sure I recall the ESP turns back on after a restart, so certainly not a permanent setting. Mine is a 2016 E550 so the menu, possibly everything, may not be the same as yours. I'd assume you have it, but you never know.
I'd love to turn off the ABS as well, but I haven't found that one. I've had a few close calls thanks to ABS, and when getting squirrely I consider abs pretty much dangerous. I've seen a lot of car crash vids where abs was the cause. Or I should say the driver got himself into a mess and abs ensured impact. If I was driving and abs was off, it would not have happened. A lot of other safety features annoy me as well, and I'm trying to find the time to learn how to turn them off. I believe I have I have the right hardware and software to do it, but how is currently over my head. Basically I have an Xentry setup with a C4 multiplexer, Vediamo and misc other programs I don't know what they do. I've seen a lot of youtube vids where guys, often speaking Russian, or English with such a thick accent I can't understand them, are explaining how they make this and that changes using Vediamo. The last one I saw was turning off Eco mode, or optionally, setting it to remain how you last left it, which is what I wanted.
There is also Dyno Mode, which obviously allows the car to spin the rears while the front isn't. I only used that once. I just remember that the headlights wouldn't turn on with that active, and it was night when I tried it so it was a fail. It may kill other stuff too, like maybe brake lights or who knows what...
Dyno Mode: Ign to position 1 and scroll dash until mileage is displayed. Press and hold Phone answer, then OK and hold both until the secret menu pops up, which was like 5 seconds.
thank you for your nice post. i have a 2018 s560 so the over ride is likely different. i've watched a few vids but they weren't on my specific car so they didn't work. i'm still looking. all i want to do is burn some rubber once in a while and then turn it off. i agree with you on some of the safety programs and really wish there were some easy "hard" buttons to select on or off instead of having to dig through menus or game the system. absolutely love the car, but those issues definately detract for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I assume you rooted all through the menus and didn't find anything? Seems odd they'd leave this out... Well, I know the dyno has to be there but I did forget to mention one thing: To access some (maybe all) secret stuff you have to have all the doors closed! Took me a bit to figure that one out. Apparently the hood and trunk too, maybe even windows for all I know, but never tested any of that. So with everything closed I'm fairly certain you can find dyno if you couldn't before. Since the key is pos 1 to do it you can't do this on the fly, which sux. Turning the traction off for burnouts like I described earlier just takes a few sec anytime you want. My CLK had a simply button to turn it on/off, which was super cool, except the button was big and super ugly dead center on the dash.

Another fyi on the secret dyno menu is the internet says you push the phone and OK, but on mine if you push Ok a microsec before phone it's a fail.
I'd probably run in dyno mode all the time if the lights worked, but if there is no proportioning valve in ABS cars it may be a fail. Not sure if you've ever experienced that but without that valve the rears lock up very easily, and depending on the car, way way too easy. Like locking for normal stops. When I was like 16 and tinkering with my car I thought, Wth is this thing? I disconnect it. Ooops, guess I need that. Then some 10yrs later I left it off my truck after swapping axles. Ooops again.

There are lots of youtube vids on the dash menus and misc tricks. I guess since people make $ on youtube you have to endure videos now instead of a simple written answer. This would be fine if they got right to the point in a 15sec vid, but noooo. Apparently they get paid my the minute.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts