Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I invite you to help with a choice - Pseudo poll

Which dealer would you pick?

I'll share a story with you... It's a little long.

The dealership (D1) in my neighborhood was playing pricing games. I gave Sales Rep#1 at D1 the specs on the car that I was looking for and they took a while to get back to me.

In the meantime, I went to another dealer (D2) who offered to build the car for me at $300 above invoice. Very polite and very direct. Plenty of time to chat. No games.

Sales Rep#1 at D1 finally called with $700 off MSRP. I asked them to do better and they never got back to me.

Sales Rep#2, from the same D1, given my internet "Request for Quote", called me with 2% above invoice. I told Sales Rep#2 of D1 his colleague Sales Rep#1 and that D2 had given me $300 above invoice. Sales Rep#2 then offered to match the price just for the sake of not having someone else sell me a car.

D1 is much more convenient to my home, but I feel that their sales tactics are bad and may be the same with service. D2 has been great on the phone - more honest seeming.

D1 will shuttle customers to and from home for any service appt regardless of what dealership sold the car. D1 will provide a Volkswagen loaners to cars purchased elsewhere, MBs for thier own. They are only 10 minutes from home.

D2, while being a really good sales experience and a bigger dealer, is 1.5 hour round-trip.

With the above implications, I could buy from D2 and service from D1, when going back to D2 is not convenient.

--> With the same price offered, what you would you guys do?

- SonofC320

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I bought my c230, the dealer made me feel like he wanted my business while another MB dealer about 2 hours away kept taking his time to work with me.

I would buy from D2 because they want your business.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far it looks like everyone's leaning to D2 for the purchase as I am.

Food for thought... It could also be considered that if I buy from the D1 folks, I will likely no longer deal with their gaming sales dept. Going forward it's just service. But I know what you are saying, D1 doesn't deserve the business. Also, one has to think that the antics in the department may also be in the service department too.

- SonOfC320

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lynn said:
I am not aware of any dealership where there is a direct connection between the front (sales) and back (service) of the store. Usually, they can't stand each other.
I hope that this is the case. It just means that regardless of where the car is purchased, the D1 Service folks are not necessarily taking after their questionable sales bretheren.

However, my BMW experience at another dealership has shown that they can be similar in practices. But I do agree that they probably do not like each other anyway.

- SonOfC320

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, D1 finally came around and offered the car at about $50 less than the other dealership. They cited that they would never ordinarily sell a car optioned as we wanted for such a price. The General Manager would only be doing so to make it up to us.

BTW, I mentioned to this Sales Rep#2 at D1 that Sales Rep#1 said the General Manager was the person who initially said $700 under MSRP was the best that they could do. Sales Rep#2 said that the General Manager had not been involved in this previously. Real nice.

So, although Sales Rep#2 was scratching his head about what else could be done, I told them that it looked like I would pass since their offer was barely better and that their prior dealings with me seemed less than fair.

Unless the bottom falls out or something spectacular happens, D2 it is.

- SonOfC320

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lynn is right. The sales managers are the people who make the ya or nay on a car price. My cousin is the sales manager for a high end dealership and he said there is no such thing as $300 above their cost. He said they will never tell you about the manufactures incentives they receive...so dont fall for the old "where only making $300" routine. They have huge overhead to pay. In canada I went to www.carcostcanada.com . they gave me the dealers price and mrsp on the car and all the options. They also knew the manufactures incentives.

Even though I got alot thrown in and saved a bundle, it still showed they earned a sweet deal.

They earn around $3100can from the base model with no options and earn a crap load from the options . So even if one dealer says $700 they are earning plenty.

The MRSP is around 11% mark up from their cost up here in canada. You do the math. Even if they drop $2300 off msrp they still are earning around $1400 from a car that has a few options. I know this due to I have the price list in front of me as we speak.

Like I said this is canada, may work a little diffrent down south.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just getting tired that one sales rep was saying one thing and the other another thing. When I stopped into D1 on a previous occassion, I was told by a third salesperson that unless I purchased from their dealership, there would be no loaner during services. D1's service department stated otherwise. The trust is just not there after all of this.

Who knows when and if the Sales Manager or General Manager became involved. I do know that I felt like I needed to contort into something they did not at all want to be to get this price. Like D1's Sales Rep#2 said, "We'll only do it since someone is going to sell you the car at this price. It might as well be us." We'll that didn't sound like they wanted me as a customer, but rather just to keep a competitor from selling. I know... business is business - but at least be smart about it.

If this were a cheap commodity item, then sure - cheapest is the best. But there is still the delivery process, future services, future purchases, and just the memory that the purchase experience was poor. I work hard for my money and conduct myself with a certain standard and honesty - why would I want to put food in the mouths of those who does not treat me the same? Just something to think about.

- SonOfC320

1 - 11 of 11 Posts