Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that Olds has surpassed MB in terms of overall reliability. I believe that the info was based on 2001-2002 data for new cars.

Has it really gotten that bad? What do you new car model owners think? I seriously doubt that anyone would rush to trade their MB for an Olds, but that is somewhat disturbing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
stupid question here....but what do you mean by Olds?? do you mean an old merc or is an old a make of a car ?? 8O

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
capu said:
stupid question here....but what do you mean by Olds?? do you mean an old merc or is an old a make of a car ?? 8O
By Olds, he means the General Motors brand Oldsmobile. It is only sold in North America. Due to poor sales, it is being phased out of GM's line up. Oldsmobile was founded around the turn of the 20th century by Ransom E. Olds. It is the oldest car company in the US.

http://www.oldsmobile.com/enthusiasts/index.htm

·
Registered
40 Posts
each day this forum amazes me more and more..the speed and efficiency at which you guy reply to questions, no matter how stupid or ignorant they maybe.

Thanks guys :) im learning more each day :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a new C240 4Matic a few weeks ago. The siren was defective and had to be replaced. Now the siren goes off 3 or 4 times a day and once while I was driving. It also went off a couple times when I locked the doors with the remote (no I did not press the Panic button). So it is going in again. Consumer Reports indicates that the CClass has had a lot of electrical problems.

The car itself I love. Wonderful combination of handling and ride and the least tiring car to drive I have ever owned.

Frank B

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lynn said:
You have a unique problem, Frank. I have been following several boards for the C class for almost two years and that is the first time, I have heard of it.
Thanks Lynn. I'm not sure if I should be happy or more upset. :)

Frank B

·
Registered
89 Posts
J.D Power and Associated poll

The J.D Power and Associated poll was very disturbing. As much as I paid for my C230 this February you would think all Mercedes models would be at the top of the list as far as reliability goes. My sister bought a C230 sedan a few days before I got my coup. This morning we are going to the dealership to talk to them about the rising number of problems she is having. I am not having any problems as far but I must say my previous car was in fact an Olds Achieva. I had my Achieva for about seven years with few problems. It was one of the best cars I have ever had. In comparison to my C230 the Achieva's air conditioning was better (colder). Don't get me wrong, I love my Mercedes, yet I am concerned. Is it a Chrysler or a Mercedes?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: J.D Power and Associated poll

Hosea said:
The J.D Power and Associated poll was very disturbing. In comparison to my C230 the Achieva's air conditioning was better (colder). Don't get me wrong, I love my Mercedes, yet I am concerned. Is it a Chrysler or a Mercedes?
The A/C issue is one of refrigerant, freon just worked better, blame the EPA not MB.

It's a Benz, Chryslers are being Benzized not the other way yet, unlike Saabolet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think I had Freon in my Olds. I have been told that not all air conditioners are created equally and that they can be adjusted to give colder air.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Based upon the issues I've had my car...those of other folks I know..IMO the JD Powers and Associates..as well as the Consumer Reports ratings are deserved. The reliabilty is poor..and getting worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Frank B said:
I bought a new C240 4Matic a few weeks ago. The siren was defective and had to be replaced. Now the siren goes off 3 or 4 times a day and once while I was driving. It also went off a couple times when I locked the doors with the remote (no I did not press the Panic button). So it is going in again. Consumer Reports indicates that the CClass has had a lot of electrical problems.

The car itself I love. Wonderful combination of handling and ride and the least tiring car to drive I have ever owned.

Frank B
Frank... I thought I was the only that have had that problem... I have a 02 C240 and it started doing the same thing suddenly one day... though... it went away by itself afer two days and hasn't come back... :) ... though It used to bother me a lot, 'cause the guys from TeleAid used to call me everytime the alarm went off... I even had to call them and tell them to stop calling until I took my car to the Service Center :( Hopefully the problem went away... so life is good now :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
There are two reasons why I do not care about these ratings.

First, as someone who has filled out the forms for several cars I've owned over the years, I have found that the questions do not deal with the issues that are important to me. Yet, JDPowers seems to be able to give many awards in so many categories that none can have much weight.

Second, the results for the different brands are not comparable since the pool of responders is self-selected. By opting for a Benz, I have actively or passively rejected the Olds (actually, my wife did). If I were to answer the poll about the Olds, my responses would be very negative in comparison to those for the Benz. (Would anyone dare poll those Olds owners to see how they'd feel about owning a Benz? :mrgreen:)

Kal

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, I read that report too and I have the feeling that the report is good.
Mercedes quality is no longer as good as it was. Espetially those made in the US got a lot of troubles. My C230 got also plenty of problems: Rear transfer case, sway link bars, fuel injection, radio. I still like my car. C230 has a very good design. However the quality is average.

My wife has a Volvo S40 and that one is worst than the Mercedes.
Buick was rated in the top of best cars. In Montreal 60% of Taxes are Buick.

This report has some value. I don't think that they have rated cup-holder like the stupid folks at www.edmunds.com.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i think us mercedes owners need an ego boost here...

as i understand the primary ratings... it ranks autos by brand and not necessarily by individual cars. it is true that the mercedes ranking has dropped in recent years... but i hear its directly attributable to the M-class SUVs which have shown to be the most problematic amonst the MB line.

in other words... the quality ranking isn't as bad as it sounds for c-class owners... but still not as good as it could be. :-/

·
Registered
127 Posts
GrandPrix said:
Quality is down because MBs are not built by Germans anymore.
They are built by Turks. Not meant to be an insult, just the truth.
According to the VIN mine was built in Germany.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts