Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an unmarked button/switch on the center console above the heater/blower switches and to the left of the rear defrost switch. Could it be some sort of cold starting mechanism? If so, how is it used? If not, what could it be?

I haven't touched it since I acquired the vehicle, having joked that it will eject the passenger through the sunroof.

·
Registered
584 Posts
wolivo said:
I haven't touched it since I acquired the vehicle, having joked that it will eject the passenger through the sunroof.
Close. It is the sunroof switch. The passenger would have to stand up and jump afer using the switch...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a sunroof switch--mine is completely manual. If you were joking, please forgive my po-faced response. :?

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you are talking the second switch from the right, that is where the sunroof switch usually is in the 123 with power sunroof. Perhaps the faceplate was taken from another car and the switch with it to fill the space?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it's possible that the console was swapped. I guess what you are saying is that it is definitely not some sort of cold starting mechanism.

What is a cold starting valve, then? I see them for sale on ebay and from euro parts suppliers. How do they work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
mystery dash knob

300 D purchased in Germany and a black knob on dash to the left of the steering column. it turns cw and ccw but does'nt seem to do any thing. YET!

·
Registered
584 Posts
That could be the idle speed adjustment...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sorry Wolivo, I musta missed your last post. The cold start valve is used on many fuel injection system to enrichen the fuel mix. This is an automatic device.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It has been a while since I have had one, so I am not sure about the rotation directions. It is typically not necessary to do anything with it, but I believe counterclockwise increases the idle speed for (ironically) a cold engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts