Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to Benz Forum and would like to greet everyone. I have a 1980 SD Turbo Diesel, (116) and in pretty good shape. I have this major problem and would like to get some advice. The ignition stuck and has locked the steering wheel in place. Mechanic says that I may need the whole lock assembly, but after reading some of the posts, how do I know if it is the lock assembly or my old key?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, dealer is asking $257 for another lock and keys.

Crystal

·
Registered
453 Posts
W116 owner welcome

Hi, first welcome to BenzForum and to Mercedes-Benz ownership. 8)

As you see from my signature I also have a '80 300SD. It is good to see other W116 owners join the forum. I am not sure of the answer to your question. My SD had already had the switch replaced before I bought the car. Not sure if this was due to the same problem. Now I have one key for car locks and another for the ignition. Can you turn the key in the ignition? Perhaps some other members can help with an answer. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re: frozen ignition

Thanks for the welcome AJ. The key does not turn. I bought the steering column lock, and the ignition cylinder. Parts person told me if my technician can remove the ignition without drilling I would not have to use the column lock, thus saving some dough. I am now waiting for the cylinder to come back, so we can get this underway.

Keep you updated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To get the key to turn, I've had success with the following trick. Push the key into the lock as your normally would, then slowly pull the key back slightly and then try to turn the key. Let us know if this works for you, as you will need to turn the key to replace the lock(unless you have it drilled)

Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts