Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upgrading the sound in my c class. I don't really want to replace the unit itself (i got the 6cd changer) but I'd like to install more powerful speakers, maybe even add a woofer. I was wondering how many speakers does the c class have and also what are my options.

Approximately how much would this run me? Not looking to do anything crazy, just something better than the factory sound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's the headunit... Is that the reason it sounds like crap if you add the volume? Would adding an amp fix this?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
better sound

i allready had the audio 10 but the stock system sounded pretty bad for a car of this calibre. the four speakers in the door are 6" and pretty lightweight paper cone jobs. the front speakers have a crossover and are two way using the front tweeters and the rear 6" are crappy coaxials. replaced all with pioneers, the fronts using a split or component system and the rear is now a proper three way. well its a lot better but still far from good. you cant fit anything bigger in the stock positions (maybe a 6 1/2" if your installers are good) yes it's an improvement but it's still to my ear unsatisfying. it does not help to have no speakers behind you and the rear speakers hidden behind the seats. if you llok in the doors you'll notice that due to the design of the doors the speakers are set well back from the grills and this also does not help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: better sound

wingrove said:
i allready had the audio 10 but the stock system sounded pretty bad for a car of this calibre. the four speakers in the door are 6" and pretty lightweight paper cone jobs. the front speakers have a crossover and are two way using the front tweeters and the rear 6" are crappy coaxials. replaced all with pioneers, the fronts using a split or component system and the rear is now a proper three way. well its a lot better but still far from good. you cant fit anything bigger in the stock positions (maybe a 6 1/2" if your installers are good) yes it's an improvement but it's still to my ear unsatisfying. it does not help to have no speakers behind you and the rear speakers hidden behind the seats. if you llok in the doors you'll notice that due to the design of the doors the speakers are set well back from the grills and this also does not help.
I thought the front door's were 5.25 and the rear door's were 6.5 in the coupe. I am in the same boat as everyone else. I want better sound, not enough to break glass, just something that sounds good when I turn it up.

I don't want to change the head unit as I am not sure that it will be worth the $$ for the audio 10. I don't want to go with some other brand as I don't want to lose the stock look or the steering wheel controls. I have always been told that the speakers were pretty good, but now I am wondering what to do.

I have had one shop suggest adding a small amp to just drive a small sub, and then route all the bass to that. They "promise" that will do the trick by making the front speakers only handle the upper levels. Another shop says that's not going to do it, I should add an amp just on the door speakers, and new ones of those if possible. Shops 3, 4, and 5 suggest some combination of these.

I'm going crazy here! :x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts