Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I did browse the forum and found some answers but here is my question.

I am considering a 2000 E320 4Matic sedan. It is very clean and has 69000 miles. The previous owner had a PPI by MB when he purchased it two years ago.
Recently MB performed the 60000 mile service.

He is being relocated out of the country and that is why the car is available. I know him well and I trust him.

The Million $$ question: Are there any major problem areas I need to look for?

He did say that some time ago the warning lights all came on, he pulled over, stopped and restarted the car and all has been well since. The battery had died a week or so earlier and was replaced. Maybe a glitch?

Other then that incident, no issues.
I did test drive the car and it performed very nicely. I ran the DS window down and thought I smelled something like brakes or wires burning.
I pulled into a parking lot, and with the engine running could not detect any unusual smells externally or in the engine compartment.
Might have been in the air. Buyer paranoia?

Anyhow, I do not want to make a costly mistake so any advice as to issues relative to the 2000 model year will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, :D
Ron Y

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can offer only this: don't buy a 4Matic car unless you really *need* the traction capabilities. "It would be nice to have" just doesn't cut it.

The 4Matic system adds complexity and weight to the car, it makes servicing some components more difficult, and most importantly the 4Matic system transfer case fails frequently and is very expensive to replace. The saying I've heard is: "4Matic - spend $3000 every 80k miles."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments.

It is quite confusing trying to decipher all of the older posts.
Some say the 4Matic is rock solid others warn against it.

Some love the E320, others disagree. I guess it will be a bit of a gamble.

4WD is important a few times a year as I am a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT. Can't stop just for snow.

I sense in general that if the car was reliable, sepecially from the beginning, and well maintained, it should be OK.

I will probably take the plunge and hope for the best.

Thank You again,

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts