Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '81 240D won't start. I have replaced both filters and bled the system. Fuel is getting to the injector pump. If I disconnect the hard line between the injector pump and one of the injectors and crank the engine over, a small amount of fuel drips from the line. How much pressure should there be from the injector pump? How can I test the pump? Advise appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. Glow Plugs: Check each one for resistance. No repair; must replace. They DO wear out. Pre-requisite: Engine block hole must be de-carbonized using a) sp. tool and b) greased cotton swab to remove loosened junk/prevent junk falling back into cylinder.
2. Battery must be in good shape; diesels require high RPM to start/ignite/fire.
Temporary solution: I believe a 240D can be push-started; ignition key 'ON', roll in 'N', then engage 'DRIVE'.
When convenient, have fuel tank washed by MB knowledgable mech. Internal peculiarities (plastic components) call for specialized know-how.

·
Registered
27 Posts
+1 on the glow plugs. Is the glow plug fuse good (a 50 amp strap on the fire wall)? When you try to start it do any cylinders fire?

I had a situation where I replaced my glow plugs and two of the new ones were bad. Irritating.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you see any smoke from the exhaust. if not then you dont have fuel. If you loosen the lines to the injectors you should see and equal amount of fuel from each one. If you do then its probably ok. I agree with the other posters here that the glow plugs would be the first thing to look at. Although its not generally a good idea you can spray some WD40 into the intake while its cranking and if it tries to start then its not getting fuel. Dont use starting fluid, that will break stuff.

·
Registered
135 Posts

In the above thread there is instructions on how to use Starting Fluid with a great degree of safety. That would be in post #10.

Bleeding the system. There is 2 systems.
There is the fuel supply system that you bleed using the Hand Primer and the high pressure system that you bleed by loosening the fuel injection hard lines at the Injectors and cranking till the air is out of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts