Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm Hez and I live in the Pacific NW - Portland OR metro area. Specifically, in Vancouver, WA.
I have a 2005 E-320 CDI (Diesel).
I purchased the car in 2007 from dealer in Chandler, AZ.
From my readings of other MBz sites/forums, I've suffered some of the "usual" failings for the class of vehicle in this age range.
I'm thoroughly happy with the car and still monitor my MPG. I do an above average amount of freeway driving. I travel I-5 freeway from Seattle to Southern California/south of Los Angeles where I grew up.
I upgraded the entertainment system about 4 years ago to have a back up camera. I'm still mourning the lost of the high quality AM/FM radio which was replaced by a "ho hum" quality radio. The emphasis was on other technology which is appreciated but came by default with the replacement equipment.
Biggest, long standing problem is with my Air conditioning (A/C). For the longest, it would take its own sweet time to start blowing COOLED air. But, would eventually get there and be good to go. Withing the past year, it has done that AND started "not cooling" along the way. But, then, start cooling again after about 10 to 15 minutes. On a long I-5 road trip, this can be annoying and sweaty.
I've relied on the various MBz forums to educate myself about problems before going to the dealer to get their treatment. I'm slowly moving toward quality German Car independent garages for more and more work/repairs. However, all things diesel engine, I still prefer the dealer because I want to go "toe to toe" with them if the results are less than as advertised.
I look forward to learning and sharing.
Having said that, has anyone experience the above described A/C problem. If so, please let me know how it was resolved. I do believe in ongoing maintenance.
Ciao for now.................Hez of the Pacific NW

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
With the AC problem it may simply be a lack of Freon gas, any workshop can test the high and low pressures and test for leaks and top up the Freon level if required. It does not need an expensive dealer to check this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I failed to mention that I did as you suggested and the independent garage found that the charge was less than an ounce. They topped it up to full charge and didn't even charge me for the little bit of refrigerant they uses.
I can't remember the last time I had the A/C sys checked and was impressed it was as tight as it was.
Because my system returns to normal cooling after it takes a walk on the wild side and heats up, I'm speculating that something is changing position or hanging up.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for input such as yours from this forum.
Hez

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
Eric,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I failed to mention that I did as you suggested and the independent garage found that the charge was less than an ounce. They topped it up to full charge and didn't even charge me for the little bit of refrigerant they uses.
I can't remember the last time I had the A/C sys checked and was impressed it was as tight as it was.
Because my system returns to normal cooling after it takes a walk on the wild side and heats up, I'm speculating that something is changing position or hanging up.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for input such as yours from this forum.
Hez
You really need to have the system vacuum tested for leaks in this case. To do this they drain the freon and vacuum the system to see if it will hold the vacuum, if not they inject a colour fluid to find the leak. Fact is if the system has a leak then it will show the symptoms you describe.

If no leak is detected then the next thing is to check for fault codes on the AC system to help pinpoint the area the problem lies in and it may be the pressure sensor on the drier is the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts