Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow enthusiats. As I am a brand new member of BenzForum.com I guess a little introduction is in order:

I am a 2002 C230k Coupe owner and have just discovered BenzForum.com. I am delighted to find a place where many people share the same enthusiam for the Coupe as I do. Mine has the C7 package and the 6-Speed manual transmission and I just love it. I think it is the best kept secret in the US auto market bar none! I previously had a MINI Cooper S which I really enjoyed but it was one of the first 'S's on the east coast and it had some 'quality control' issues. The interior buzzed and rattled relentlessly which is what really attracted me to the C-Coupe. It's an absolute vault. I have 18,000 miles on it and it still is as solid and quiet as the day I bought it.

Now onto my questions:
I have read with much interest many member's posts--specifically Lynn's--on having the COMAND system installed aftermarket by Steve Krabbenborg of the Netherlands. I have been told by several dealers that such an install is impossible and consider not ordering the system from the factory one of my biggest mistakes as my MINI had the factory Nav system and found it indespensible.

I have already contacted Steve via email and have found him to be thoroughly knowledgeable and pleasant. I am most definitely going to buy a system from him, but I was dismayed, however, to hear him say that he does not travel to the US anymore to do installs.

He says the installation is not difficult on the Coupe as it was designed to accept the system. He claims it only takes him 30 minutes and has suggested that it is something I can do myself. So my questions are:
Do any of you have any advice for me regarding the installation? Did anyone watch the installation performed? Was it scary? Did he have to rip apart the interior? In restrospect, does it seem like something the average owner could do?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Christian Lallo

·
Registered
26 Posts
From what I understand it is fairly simple. In fact, Paul Dick recently posted a write up on installing a COMAND system in his C class on another forum (can't remember which right now) comlete with step by step instructions and photos. Do a search on the other forums and if I come across it, I will post a link here for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
peench said:
From what I understand it is fairly simple. In fact, Paul Dick recently posted a write up on installing a COMAND system in his C class on another forum (can't remember which right now) comlete with step by step instructions and photos. Do a search on the other forums and if I come across it, I will post a link here for you.
Thanks peench! I've spent the last few days searching all of the MB forums I could find and have yet to dig up the instructions with photos you mention. If you have any hints on where I should look, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Christian

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also am interested in adding the Command 2.0 to my car. After installing the unit in the car what is the next step? Will i have to take it to the dealer for anything for it to operate correctly? All help will be appreciated. Thanks, Treevis

·
Registered
34 Posts
if u want navi to work on ur cluster screen, u have to take it to the dealer to set COMAND present...

treevis said:
I also am interested in adding the Command 2.0 to my car. After installing the unit in the car what is the next step? Will i have to take it to the dealer for anything for it to operate correctly? All help will be appreciated. Thanks, Treevis

·
Registered
10 Posts
So it will work properly on the Command display but not on the gauge cluster screen? Will the gps feature work also? I am planning on purchasing a Command 2.0 in the next couple of days and I was wanting to make sure I wasnt buying something that wouldnt work. Thanks, treevis

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Command unit that I have found on the net for sale is actually for a G-class European model. It does not come with the gps antenna or the wiring harness. Does anyone know where I can get these items and if anyone has any experience installing this G-class Command in a "C" class car. I also am interested in the Tv tuner kit or the ability to watch dvd's. By the way I have a 2004 C-class with the regular stereo with 6 disc changer in the glove box. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Treevis

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The G class COMAND will work. You can get antenna from the dealer, but it may not have the correct connector. I know a source who has the correct antenna and makes a wiring harness adaptor. He won't sell them except with the COMAND's he sells. The pin-outs are posted in many places on the internet. I can get them if you need them. You will have to cut the wires from the C connector and hook them to new C1 and C2 connectors.

It is difficult and expensive to connect a video source to a US spec COMAND. The European versions have the TV button activated and it is much easier to connect a dvd player or tuner. There are some differences between the US and Euro versions. The Euro AM band is different and you won't receive any station above 1600 KHz, and you won't receive a few between 530 and 1600. The Euro version has RDS, but doesn't have weather band. It does not automatically change the time for daylight savings time.

www.mbenznl.com I bought my COMAND from Steve Krabbenborg as have hundreds of others. If you live in the right place he will even install it.

Also, see http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/COMAND 2.0.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lynn,

Can you please help me get the harness and antenna? I am having trouble locating these items on the net. Also, isnt the 2004 C-class prewired for all the options and extras including the antenna? Thanks for your input and help. Thanks, Treevis

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lynn,

Thanks so much for the help. Will these items just simply plug in without any cutting or splicing or rewiring? Also, what will I need to watch dvd's on this unit other than a dvd player? Thanks again for your help! Treevis

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
With the harness there is no cutting. The Female C connector on the wiring loom plugs into the harness and the C1 and C2 connectors on the harness plug into the C1 and C2 recepticles on the back of the COMAND. The HRS plug on the antenna plugs into the COMAND.

The seller of the only COMAND I see on the US ebay is selling the video connectors for $49. Steve probably would sell them to you.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
This is the proper antenna:

The one you posted does not appear to have the proper connector. The wiring harness you posted may have the adaptor needed to use the antenna you posted. The wiring harness on that site has more items than the wiring harness I think you need. That one should work, but the other one is cheaper. I wish I could read the part numbers on that website.

From May 2003 price list these are the parts you need

2035400909 CABLE HARNESS 36.00 29.00 21.50

2038200975 ANTENNA 119.00 95.00 72.00

For the Audio Aux Input:
2104405005 CABLE HARNESS 31.50 25.50 19.00

Prices are retail wholesale and dealer cost

You should contact our hosts on their website to see if they can get the parts. If not, call Hoehn Mercedes or Caliber Mercedes in California and ask for wholesale parts. You can get their phone numbers on the mbusa.com website.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts