Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently driving an Asuna Sunfire. (Isuzu Impulse)
And parts are VERY hard to find and it just an overall crappy car.
I'm getting really interested in the new C230K (HB) and am wanting to buy one sometime within the next year or two.
My questions are:
Since Mercedes is more of a luxury vehicle as compared to say Honda, do parts cost more to upgrade/replace?
Can you find lots of after marktet parts?

As compared to Honda, you can find any part for the car that ranges from cheap to expensive. You basicly have a wide veriety as to what you want to pay for performance.
Where as my Asuna, it's so rare that they DON'T make cheap after market parts and you have to buy the top of the line equipment.
It's horrible, and I really don't want my next vehicle to be like that.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well just like the obviouse wear and tear such as brake pads and lights and mufflers etc.
Also if they are compatable with air-ride technology.
Performance upgrades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you are asking if you should go with a Honda or a Mercedes, maybe you should just go with a Honda. The people that are behind the three pointed star are people who know what it is exactly they are driving
and pay a high premium for it..

·
Registered
5 Posts
There aren't a lot of aftermarket parts and they usually aren't cheap
What do you call AMG, Carlson, Brabus, Kleeman, Rentech, etc, etc?

Last time I checked there were a TON of aftermarket parts for a Benz.

Well, yes, compared to a piece of rice on four wheels your choices aren't as broad. But these aren't disposable cars like a Honda or Acura as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy buddy, Im just asking if parts are hard to come by like they are for my car. Don't have to be a dick about it.
I simply used "Honda" as an example because I KNOW you can find any part for it and for cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay easy enough said - here you go my reasoning. You can easily find a mechanic that can fix a Domestic/Japanese car off the back of his head, but not so easily so with European cars. The complexity of build of the cars you've mentioned is simply different.

Don't know how many of you guys out there have opened up the hood and see the difference between lets say an inline-4 engine in the lets say 2.0L in Toyota/Honda and the C230/C220/C200 engines. How easy is it to reach the oil filter in the Japanese engine and what about the C-class engines. Complexity of an engine built is definitely proportional to the cost of the item itself too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You seem to think Honda is cheap to fix... they are not. Once they are out of warranty, Honda is very expensive to keep. If you want a cheap car to own where parts are affordable, you should buy a GM or Ford. Japanese cars are not that much cheaper to fix then European cars. Just ask anyone who has replaced a Honda engine (me...) or a Toyota transmission (me...). They cost a lot of money just like Euro cars.

The benefits of a MB (and Audi, BMW... etc) is that your cost of purchase includes most scheduled maintenance and on Audi and BMW, it even include most consumerable items like brake pads, rotors, wiper blades etc.

If you factor in the total cost of ownership, MB is not that much more than a lowly Honda. Assuming if you sell the car after warranty expires of course... all bets are off if you keep your car past warranty period. But even then MB makes sense because warranty is 4 years compare to 3 years on a Honda or Toyota. If you keep your car past warranty period, you should buy a Ford or GM. They are cheap to fix and maintain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for your info. We've owned a Prelude for 13 years.
I know there is a wide range of (for example) mufflers that will fit on it in a wide range of prices. cheap being cheap and high $ being good quality.

Now my car right now, I had to pay TOP $$ for new brakes simply because its rare and the handling & braking system are by Lotus.
We couln't find the parts in Canada so we had to specially order them from some Japanese place!
As where with our Prelude, you can get a brake pade at the dam gas station!(well, prolly not) But they're overall cheaper to obtain.

One question though, everyone here sell's their MB right after warrenty!?
I would have thought that with such a large investment, you would keep it a little longer! Oh well, I'm learning

1 - 10 of 10 Posts