Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I just was blessed to replace my smashed (drunk driver in Ford Explorer hit and totaled my S430, I was lucky to survive) car with a a lightly used 2001 S600 still under warranty, with EVERY goody in it. (Sadly Keyless Go was not available that year so that is the only thing missing). Literally every option and aftermarket thing you can think of is in there.

I love it. Drives like a dream.

There is one device in there that even the dealer could not explain to me and I THINK it is a radar detector built in to display alerts inside the rearview mirror.

In addition to the little round light sensor in the top right of the mirror there is a little round LED built in inside at the top left of the mirror which turns yellow or green depending on which of two positions I set an optional add-on three position rotary switch+ volume control style control. At/inside the lower left and lower right of the mirror are two red arrows, one pointing up and one pointing down, which I believe must be showing me radar sensed from the front or back of the car.

When I turn on the switch the rearview mirror chirps just like most radar detectors do when the turn on. I have seen the red arrows go on a few times but I do not use it until I get an understanding of what it is. I have searched on the MBUSA site, and all over google but find not a single description of such a device. But I know it exists - I HAVE IT. :)

Just want to learn how it works and any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Imran

·
Registered
9 Posts
Christ, that musta been some accident to replace with an S600..

As for that thing in your rear view mirror, it could be a radar detector. Since you got the car used, and the dealership had no idea what it was, the previous owner could've had it custom installed. Try taking your car to one of those Audio/Alarm places to have them look at it? Perhaps they might know what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is a factory option because I have one in my E55 but it is located near the headlamp switch it has the same yellow and green lights depending on which position it is in. Mine does not have the red arrows, and Im not really sure how it works either so if you found out yet please let me know too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
well its a very impressive custom install then with the front and rear detection lights intergrated into the guage cluster and the control knobs neatly tucked near the head lamp switch. I talked to a couple other guys who had it in their cars which lead me to believe it was a very rare, but factory option. I guess not with K40 being out of Eligin IL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 s600 and it has the same radar detector a k-40 from Elgin,ill it's aftermarket very nice to be non-benz but the operation is very simple there are only 3 options city highway or off and the small knob in the middle is the volume. Depending on where you're at in the city you turn it to the left and the light should be yellow the middle is off and to the right is the highway setting the light should be green and then there are 3 different sounds it makes depending on the type of radar it's detecting.I find it best to just slow down a bit when it goes off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts