Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When set to "auto" the Air Conditioning admits outside air as necessary. You can hit the recirculate button and air will recirculate for 30 mminutes. I'd like to have it recirculate continuously to keep pollen out. Is there a way the dealer can tweek the computer to make that happen?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lynn said:
I don't think the dealer can do that. Doesn't the dust filter do a good job at keeping out the pollen?
The dust filter helps, but when you have allergies, you want to keep it ALL out!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I know. I have been having problems for the past 2.5 weeks. Fortunately, it isn't as bad this year as it has been in other years. I washed to car a couple of weeks ago and before I could dry it my orion blue car was pink and purple with pollen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lynn said:
I know. I have been having problems for the past 2.5 weeks. Fortunately, it isn't as bad this year as it has been in other years. I washed to car a couple of weeks ago and before I could dry it my orion blue car was pink and purple with pollen.
Wow!, pink an purple! Our pollen is just green.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In the past, I've had cars where you could leave it in recirculate mode. What I found was that, after a while, I would get a headache from the lack of any new air. Within seconds of introducing fresh air, the headache would go away. If your car seals are good, as most are these days, I would imagine the same would happen to you. Perhaps your dealer can clean or install a replacement filter under warranty. Or, you may be able to get a secondary filter installed in your vehicle.

Good luck. 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is the air cleaner and how do you access it? Does it need to be cleaned or replaced periodically? Are there aftermarket filters that offer higher filtration? Mark is probably right about wanting some outside air in the mix.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ask your dealer about setting the default to recirculating and A/C on.

On my BMW, settings like this ARE programmable at the dealership. That is why I had asked earlier if anyone had the list of dealer programmable defaults.

I know that some of the "simple/useless" settings are settable by ourselves using the computer in our cars, but is there anyone out there who knows what settings are available to the dealer (what comes up in the menus on his PC when it is hooked to your car)? Does anyone out there know this? If we can't do it on our MB cars, we're losing out.

- SonofC320

·
Registered
175 Posts
Leaving the recirc on all the time is bad. It dries the air out too much because it's constantly removing humidity, and it also removes the oxygen and you end up re-breathing your own carbon dioxide exhaust breath. Hence the headaches described. Let it run for 30 min and go back to normal, then after 10 min. or so put it back on.

Really the filter should be keeping out the pollen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts