Discussion Starter #3
it is a indy.

air filter $35
fuel filter and spark plugs $65 together
2 hours labor at $75/hr

coolant parts and labor = $65

tranny fluid and filter = around $100
1 hour labor at $75

I am considering doing the air filter and spark plugs myself as I saw how the indy took the apart to look at the condition of them when I asked for the estimate. It did not seem too difficult. As for the fuel filter, it sounds like a messy job. I replaced the fuel filter on my bmw before and it was a little messy. Should I also get the brake fluid bleeded and replaced as recommended by the manual? My steering wheel does not recoil that fast after turns - its not that bad but I think it should be better. On my bmw and other cars with power steering after a turn the wheel almost turns back by itself. with the mb, i have to turn it a little first and hit the gas before it starts to turn back. Do you think its low on fluid? Where is the steering fluid box?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Have them do the coolant, the brake fluid, the tranny fluid and the fuel filter for you. The air filter and plugs you should do yourself. Easy job, plus you can take some personal stake in your automobile.

If you are low on power steering fluid, the pump would likely be noisy. If the wheel does not return quickly enough, I would have the alignment checked. The rate at which this happens is based on the steering axis inclination, which is part of a proper alignment. It is also possible that there are bent suspension components causing this. It's also possible that the wheel just doesn't return as fast as it does on your BMW. A qualified Mercedes-Benz tech would be able to tell you if it behaving normally after a thirty second test drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to replace the spark plugs, do I need a special tool to remove the boot around the spark plugs. when the indy was checking the spark plugs for me, I saw he had to pull some a thing which sits on top on the plugs before he put the sockets in to unscrew the plugs out. thanks.

tom

·
Registered
453 Posts
The key point in getting the plug wire ends off is to grab the connector, NOT the wire, as close to the bottom as possible and pull. As mentioned above, the tool is helpful but not necessary. Also, remember you can purchase parts, as needed, here in support of BenzForum. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts